Hoof Question

suze

Jun 4, 2001
Folkestone
groups.msn.com
I am wondering about Chesters hooves.
He is a 10 year old New Forest X and as far as I know he has never been shod. I only bought him in february.
He does light hacking a couple of times a week, just walk and trot and he gets lunged as well.
He does no roadwork at all.
I have noticed since spring is here and the ground has toughened up he always walks on softer ground.
He seems perfectly happy on the ground but for instance theres a part of the bridal path that is hard dirt in the middle, to the left is some grass and a ditch and to the right is some grass and a barbwire fence. He will walk along the softer ground right next to the ditch while Im up there thinking I dont like this:eek:
He will move over if I ask him but I know he prefers the softer ground. Now thinking of this Im wondering if he would be happier with shoes, My farrier is coming out on friday to trim him and I will ask him about shoeing but I would appreciate your thoughts on the subject in the meantime.
Thanks
Suze

I think that if walking on hard ground makes him sore then he should have shoes on. His feet might hold up fine, but he could still be sore.

it's quite usual for ponies (even these allegedly tough natives) to get footsore on harder or stony ground. both of our new forest broodmares do this, they pick their way along the path to the field like little ballerinas. they have both had ridden careers, so have been shod in the past, but not for at least 7 years. on the other hand, i've known ponies who stomp on through any kind of ground without shoes. if he's tender, i'd get shoes put on and see if it makes a difference. if it doesn't change things, you can always have them taken off again.

Thanks Guys.
Yes Wally I am listening and also wondering.
Its wednesday and Farrier will be with us Friday morning so I will see.
Someone has said that its because his frogs need trimming and shoeing will ruin his feet, also that its just his front feet and not the back ones.
Well he dosent seem to be in any pain but if he would be more comfortable with shoes then thats what we will do.
Chester is a pony ready for a quieter life, he can jump and canter but doesnt want to and gets funny if you ask for more than a trot.
He checked out fine physically, a bit overweight and he is cow hocked. I have ridden a cow hocked pony before and it felt awful, the pony had an extra step bit on his rear shoes but it still felt terrible. With Chester he feels fine and the only time I notice his cowhocked is when I do his back feet.
Maybe his been uncomfortable all this time and thats why he wont canter or jump:(
I will let you know what the farrier says. Thanks

Fat Cob has been shoeless all winter. Recently he has been a bit lame on his front foot.I was a bit concerned about this and gave him a couple of days of bute. Still pottery, so I put front shoes on him...sound from the second I had finished. He has been sound since. Some older horses need a bit of help.

Hi I have a welshXcob type and tried him shoeless first.He coped quite well and I tend to ride him on verges etc but a like yourself he was a bit tender on rough ground.I had the blacksmith out and he recommended just front shoes as horses carry most of the weight on the front feet.I got fronts on and he is much happier.i still ride on the verges and I also use Kerratex to help protect his feet.I would say try fronts firstly if he is still not happy get backs on too.

Have you considered using hoof boots? They are expensive but they would protect his feet without using shoes.So he could have all the benefits of going barefoot but with added protection when he is being worked.Might be worth trying if you would prefer not to use shoes

Hoof Boots

Yes I've just seen them in the Robinsons spring catalogue.
Old mac boots, must say they look really nice and the read up on them is good, sounds too good:) . Anyway at £90 for the fronts and £170 for a full set they are a bit expensive, money well spent if they do the job though and Guaranteed for 6 months could make it cheaper than shoeing.

Be careful with hoof boots, they have no natural "slip", horn and steel have slippage built in. Hoof boots made from rubber can be really jarring on the horse's legs.

Front shoes only are a really good compromise....unless you have gaited horses, then things tend to get complicated!

Seems I was totaly wrong.
Farrier says if I dont do roadwork then dont use shoes.
Only reason for footsoreness was because he was getting a bit lamanatic.
Looks like he went into the starvation paddock just in time.
Anyway he is doing fine now, still needs to loose a bit more weight.

newrider.com