Hopefully seeing this one on Friday - see anything to worry about?

Oh My God!!!!

It's a CHESTNUT MARE!!! Are you SERIOUS????

Nah.... just kidding.... I don't believe that all chestnut mares are nutters either! She looks lovely. Have fun :)

Just had a quick look and all looks pretty ok!! Was the lady happy to answer all your questions etc?

Whereabouts in Essex is she?

I think she's a nice age and type for what you want

She looks really nice and just the right sort. It's obviously a dealer (possibly small dealer).

I think I would just want to establish the following to help with the decision (but, of course we're all different, so please discard as necessary :giggle:)

How long they've had the pony and how thoroughly they have checked it out (hacking, jumping, loading, behaviour at shows etc)
Do they now own her, or are they selling her for sombody else? It would be nice to know how they have come by her?
Is there proof of age?

Really good luck with this one... remember at 15 it wouldn't necessarily be a shock to fail part of a vet-check, but it does not necessarily mean the horse is not fit for purpose.... Good luck

Phew - you had me worried there!!

A chestnut mare is NOT ideal, but she reckons she's very sweet so we'll see!! She does pull faces when you do her girth up but as long as thats ALL she does I guess thats ok!

Do you think she's a bit cheap? And do I need something with a big bold jump?! I don't want to overhorse myself but she has been a first horse for her last loaners??

but how did an obviously well-loved pony end up at a dealers? also a bit wary of horses being described as 'anyone's ride' - to me that says they really want rid asap and describe accordingly (sorry, i'm a pessimist when it comes to these things!). i would never market a horse at complete novices, to be honest. not if i cared about where the horses ended up :unsure:

ps: she does look pretty though :)

I'd say the price is fair for a middle of the road 15yr old, people don't tend to want horses of this age so much. Also, she could do with a bit more muscle on her so that may affect how people perceive her.

I'm no expert (bought mine sight unseen) but I think she looks pretty and she sounds exactly like what you've been looking for. Plus, we need more chestnusts on here!

she looks lovely but she is too cheap. especially in the south. I would really want to know why.
it would be great to get a bargain but it does make you wonder.

however if its genuine you have found a great deal. good luck and take care. x

My gut instinct is that this pony won't be suitable. I googled the number as well, and found about 10 ads linked to it - using lots of different sites as well, which made me think that they are trying to hide the fact that they are dealers. While this isn't necessarily a problem, I don't like the fact that they have not declared themselves as dealers. It doesn't seem honest to me.

The horse looks pretty, but I did notice that she wore a martingale and that her head carriage was pretty high in some of the pictures. In your previous posts you have mentioned that you do sometimes tense when nervous, so I'm not sure a horse which needs a martingale would be suitable.

Also, the horse obviously has a huge jump, and I would be worried about wear and tear on joints, especially if she has been jumped hard in the past. A horse who has that ability is likely to have competed in the past.

I think that the price is fair considering she is 15, but I doubt she would come with any type of tack/rugs.

I hope that I don't sound too negative. I hope that you see her and fall in love with her, but these are my honest and first impressions.

Sounds great................Where are people getting that its a 'dealer' am I
missing something? She has a very 'Arabby' look about her to my mind, maybe Welsh X Arab which is usually a fabulous mix.

Not that keen on the last photo if I am honest compared to how she
looks in the others, but maybe thats her coming out of the Winter / she
just looks a bit 'tucked up'.

Definately worth going to see though:smoke:

Did you not enquire about the coloured in Leicestershire? Bob or something, the one we were going to see and then didn't ?

looks like a fab wee horse :D

I can see the reason for the price..... her age. She technically is veteran now and that will have an effect.

Definately worth a look. might be something to bring on your confidence jumping/getting out and about :) LWTB dont take this personally but your not going to find the perfect horse, I know your looking for a confidence giver but even those will have days, :)

Kia I would say for hacking would be ace for you and if you just wanted to W/T/C in the school with no schooling as well but anything else he would challenge you , yet my sharer who hadnt ridden in 4 years got on him and my total novice OH has hacked him and has galloped him about and has great fun on him :) but he does have his days ;)

Go have a look and a sit and evaluate for yourself, nobody on this board can tell you a damn thing about a pony until they have met it :)

sorry i somehow assumed it must be a dealer. oops!

have you asked why they're selling? any medical history? how long have they had her before they put her out on loan? i'd give them a good grilling before trekking out to see her :)

(i think that 'martingale' might be a breastplate btw, its hard to tell)

i think the price is fair for a 15 year old to be honest :)

She's very pretty, Debbie, and to bo honest I feel a bit sorry for her ending up with a seller, she looks as if she has been a great horse for someone.

You don't need a jump, but better that than scared of them like Ziggy. She won't mind if she doesn't jump, and you'll know you can clear any log you might want to pop over when out hacking. The most important thing is that she feels quiet and comfortable for you to ride when you try her.

I wish I could come but I am working on Friday! Sorry! Have you got a copilot?

i looked at the tack and i think it is a martingale not a breast plate.

she has a big jump and is bold, which is fine, but you may find her a bit enthusiastic.

at her age, you may find it difficult to get insurance for anything other than accident only i.e. not illness, as a new policy - this means you are covered only for cuts, falls, but nothing medical. this is a major drawback. before you go and see her, ring a few insurers and find out first.

i wonder why a middle aged poppet alledgedly ends up at a dealer?

I think she looks lovely. Pretty little head!! With regards to the martingale the ad says no need for gadgets, and her Loaners may have shot one on a's it's the "in thing to do", I know it is round here! Same a's bubble bits, the amount of ponys that are ridden in bubble bits "just in case" astounds me!
The jumping thing wouldn't bother me, a's Jane says better to jump than be scared of them. You never know you might be passing a small local show and nip in and think what the hell and have a go in a few classes! (it happens!!)

I wouldn't discount her on age or price or being from a dealer! Both mine came from a friend who is a dealer and they are fine (not including Junes hip that was a field accident!)

If she pulls faces at the girth being done up, I would probably want her back checked in a vetting.. (sorry you probably didn't want to hear that :( )

Good luck, she does sound like a real poppet.

I for one don't really notice what tack a horse is wearing as in a lot of cases it is a fashion statement. My last horse that I bought was in a dutch gag, flash and martingale. As soon as I got him home I took everything off put a cavesson on and rode him in a loose ring french link, and he went better and was much more comfortable.

Got my fingers crossed!

newrider.com