Horse boot reccomendations

Tina2011

Mar 23, 2012
Gateway to europe
Evie has been successfully unshod for the past two years and is happily hacking out for around 3 miles twice a week.

She was fine with shoes, but since being unshod her feet are generally in much better condition, no cracks or chips and she used to have a tendancy towards thrush which is completely gone.

Since moving, our hacks are going to have to be much longer, shortest around four miles but more often than not 5 miles upwards, we don't have any little blocks.

I am concerned this may wear her feet down too much, so I am thinking horse boots.

Has any one tried these? Do they stay on or fly off in Canter etc.
How well do they fit? ok or go wonky.

Do they rub anywhere at all?

What boot you get depends on what size/shape foot you are dealing with. Chances are you still won't need them or might need them only occasionally.

Thanks that is encouraging. It will be great if I can still carry on without.

It won't all be road work just sort of half and half. I am a bit of a worry guts. One hoof gets more worn than others, I will have to see how I get on. She is quite a big heavy mare but her feet are tidy (not dish plates lol).

Ziggy wore boots to start with, he had the Easyboot Gloves and they were excellent.

I only carry them now if we are going for a long ride in case we come across a really difficult surface, otherwise he is fine.

I would wait and see because she may grow and self trim.

I have used Boa, Cavallo, Gloves and currently have a pair of trails that have sat in the box for a year. Cob has really good naturally hard feet. Doesn't notice the rocky tracks.
I didn't get on with Boa once changed to another make, I realised how clumpy and gumboot they were.

Have you been on Google to hunt for any paths or tracks? My shortest route is going round a triangle with a tree in it, not exciting but it was ideal for her initially.

Yes I have done the googling, we have some nice rides and no bad surfaces that I can think of. The roads are all even tarmac and the bridleways are well maintained. Its hunting country, so its pretty horse friendly.

I am just going to see how it goes for now. I am probably worrying about nothing as usual.

newrider.com