Horse bucking when cantering

Murphley Moo

Jun 5, 2009
Today i rode my share horse in an open field for the first time. When he went into a canter he got really fast and then i felt him do something strange, so i kept half halting him until he slowed down and stopped. He was really strong and i worried he wasn't going to slow down!

His owner told me he was just about to buck and said he obviously changed his mind at the last minute (she was watching). She said it could have been because he was over excited or because he simply didn't want me on his back!

Do you think this was a one off or is he likely to do it again? We cantered up a lane yesterday and he was good as gold!

He was probably over excited as he was in an open field. When they are wanting to buck, their back will tense up and like you said he went really fast first. You could try doing a smallish circle with him if he starts getting strong again ...

Hey the positive is that you may have unwittingly corrected the behaviour so he didn't buck! I'd agree that its probably just excitement, see how its goes in the future and now you know what to do if he feels like he's going to put a wee buck in!

x

Thank you....i felt really pleased with myself as my half halts seemed to work, then realised i was silly - and i should only be pleased with myself if he bucked and i managed to stay on !!!!!

Thank you....i felt really pleased with myself as my half halts seemed to work, then realised i was silly - and i should only be pleased with myself if he bucked and i managed to stay on !!!!!

Why, stopping him bucking is far more impressive.

And its good that you could stop, even when he was excited, I'd say it was a good day

You did well with him. Its a very different experience riding out free range to riding in a school or even in a lane.

You'll be cantering all over the place in no time:D

The girl who rode him before me never took him out very often i understand so he was probably in his element. He is 17......i'm suprised the old boy has it in him !!!!!

newrider.com