Horse doesn't like water - advice needed

HorseCrazyGirl

Apr 12, 2019
at my stables i have been put in charge of training a horse to be sold on. will make a beautiful hunter but he will not go through water - even a small puddle. we don't know what caused it but i would like to ideally get him over his fear of water. we've got some ideas to start training him but it means whenever there is water/puddles around no novices or begginers can ride him because he will buck or rear if you ask him to go through and will jump or canter round the water. i need some ideas to train him to go through water so we can do XC and water ditches and sell him on as a hunter please!

Mine walks through unless there is a way round it.
Initially I just led her and she followed didn't make a big deal out of it.
But the book and biscuits idea I have done. We are less patient than we think.

Mine was funny about puddles on the road as they shine. Every time I was out on the road and I saw a puddle I made my horse step into it and then just stand for several minutes. It might take time to get them to take a step towards but just keep praising every time they take a step. Also use clicker training to reassure that step. Once in just let them stand for a bit. Then walk out turn round and walk straight back into. Start with very shallow puddles. Maybe large ones that get deeper in the middle.
I've seen some people use a large piece of plastic layed out in the field. Maybe you could lay it out on a dipped hollow in the field and teach the horse to just walk over the plastic, then start asking horse to stand in the middle and get someone to pour buckets of water gentle on it, so it flows round the feet.
Is the horse ok with being hosed off also.
Theres a great video on YouTube I watched on teaching a horse to be ridden into water. I'll see if I can find it.
The one I was thinking of was a very young horse and might be too much as it was a river crossing.
But I just found this.

Last edited:
My horse isn't keen either but he's better than he was. He will go into water now but if he's really scared he won't go in without a lead. He also still has an unnerving habit of dithering at the edge of the water for a little while before launching himself into it. He really hates it and I don't think he will ever change his mind.

Because he is really good in hand I got him into water by leading him in and out a few times (being prepared for cat leap into water) and then mounting while we were in the water so he got the hang of being in there with me on his back instead of next to him. I have got very wet feet several times!

He'll never be brave and bold about it though, he's not that kind of horse.

I've had a few who will avoid puddles at all costs but will do rivers and the sea without too much bother, when they can't see a way to avoid it they seem to give up the fight once they've initially been taught its OK.

No, Raf won't do puddles still. I found the @chunky monkey's video interesting but I don't have sound on the work PC so only got a small part of the picture. Did the trainer explain why plastic was used to start with - is it just a trust/training thing, so the horse understands what it's being asked to do when it's faced with water (I ask because Raf knows perfectly well the difference between water and plastic!) Also, how did she get the horse to walk through the water instead of jumping over it? Was that because of the plastic training beforehand? That horse seemed to react the way I have seen other horses go into water the first time - tentative at first but once they were in quite curious and then starting to enjoy it (sometimes too much!) Even though Raf goes in, he still hates every minute of it and is tense the whole time.

I would say the best way to train your horse to be a hunter is to take him hunting and let him follow the other horses. Do you have any summer pleasure rides or anything you could take him on? Our local hunts do them and they often incorporate water (very popular for hilarious FB pics) :)

Thanks for all your amazing ideas! i've tried most of them and i'm glad to say that he's now quite happy with walking through water on his own and on a lead rope so we are going to try riding him through next! Again thanks for all your suggestions and help! My RI is very impressed! We are going to start him on some XC and then a friend of mine will take him hunting. Thank you all xx

He's brillinat now!! Still a little bit wary if walking but when cantering and galloping he hardly notices!!!! Took him out on an advanced XC course and he flew over a drop fence into water !!!! I also rode him in a river on a hack with some of the novice riders (he's quite spirited so he has to be ridden by someone experienced) and he enjoyed it thoroughly although was slightly wary at first but when my horse Star (ridden by my BF) went in he followed happy as larry!!! Honestly i think they are in love!!!:D he is always with her in the field and absolutely adores her!!! lol!

Reactions: Frances144
Both of mine will do absolutely anything to avoid stepping in a puddle or over a tiny stream but have no issues splashing around knee-deep in the sea :rolleyes:

Both of mine will do absolutely anything to avoid stepping in a puddle or over a tiny stream but have no issues splashing around knee-deep in the sea :rolleyes:
The sea is clean, puddles are dirty.
Mine will now walk through if there is grass available. But she will straddle a little stream to get to other grass. Seriously stretched.

newrider.com