Horse doesn't seem so fussed on being out

showqa

Jan 31, 2008
My horse is a funny old devil. I'm one of those who like him out as much as possible, although he comes in at night. So, usually he goes out 7.30ish and he's excited to be going out, then in at 5ish. The field that he's in at the moment I can see from my kitchen, and half the time he's just stood there staring into space. His pony pal is busy scoffing, but by 2 he's hovering around the gate !!!!!! He's still got grass, not up to his eyes in mud, it was dry, he was rugged - but he just doesn't seem that fussed about being out! Any of yours like this? Why do you think they are?

Isn't yours an Andalusian?
If not, then sorry, I don't know (and apologies for getting you mixed up with somebody else). But if he is, then that'll be why.... He would probably have been kept in a lot more before he came over from Spain generally and some of them just never really seem to get used to our winter weather. We don't think it's all that cold yet, but they just don't seem to like it. Rather stand in and munch on hay in cosy stable.

The lovely people at North Farm were telling us how some of their horses, even after several years in the UK, simply prefer to be out for just an hour or two in winter.

I too like horses to be out lots but if they seem happier in, then I guess that's fine. Manage it as best as possible between his "wishes" and when you can get to him to bring him in.

My previous TB wasn't a huge fan of being out, especially in inclement weather and would stress horrifically if forced to stay out, giving him self colic on one occassion, also jumping fences and gates to come in. He had raced for 9 years when I got him and had very little turn out in those years so that didn't help..

I didn't worry too much - if he was happier in then he stayed in 24/7 in the winter if necc and only went out when the weather was ok.

My previous TB wasn't a huge fan of being out, especially in inclement weather and would stress horrifically if forced to stay out, giving him self colic on one occassion, also jumping fences and gates to come in. He had raced for 9 years when I got him and had very little turn out in those years so that didn't help..

I didn't worry too much - if he was happier in then he stayed in 24/7 in the winter if necc and only went out when the weather was ok.

My Tb is the opposite! I make a point of bringing her in for feeds (to get her relaxed and used to being in the stable) as usually when I bring her in she stresses the whole time and wants to be back out in the field organising the others (she's a control freak and fears a take over bid while she away). The daft thing is they all stand at the gate where she can see them and wait for her. She's been stabled all her life but now she is out 24/7 she doesn't want to be in if possible. I think she'd kick the door down if I had to keep her in all night - the toad.

Hal loves to be in- he gets a few hours one day a weekend and even thats more of a punishment for him- the field is lovely, nice hedgerows, no mud, grass, goes out with a friend etc but he just hates it.

blackie on the other hand, was born outside and lived out unrugged or "domesticated" (minimal human contact) until she was 4, fetched in that winter, broken spring as a 5 year old then kept "in" from then on (gets more turnout through week on her own which she doesnt mind)

they are both ridden regularily, very large stables where they can touch each other and still have proper contact.

it hasnt affected either of them, and Hal would probably prefer no turnout at all but we do it for his own good in a way.

Well remembered Dooley - yes he is an Andalusian. Actually, it was from North Farm that I bought him. I had wodnered whether it was his breeding, his Spanish life pre - UK. Thanks for your input, and you've probably hit the nail on the head. I suppose it's a case of not imposing our preferences on him, and just listening to him.

Libby is out 24/7, but almost barged into Lucy's stable the other day :( ... She's desperate to be in! The last two years she's been on long term box rest (several months each time) and she LOVED it. Ok, so she weaves, but it's clearly a self reinforcing behaviour because she's happiest locked in a stable. Go figure :(.

They really keep you guessing don't they - and that of course is one of the reasons that we're so fascinated by them. In so many ways my horse seems to grab the text book and tear the thing to shreds for me!

My Arab is exactly the same. Even on a sunny day in winter, he will graze for most of the morning and by mid afternoon is stood. All his mates are grazing happily but not him. (I can see him from home too). Perhaps its something in their genes if they originated from sunnier climes. Mine was born and bred here so he has no excuse.

Would be interesting to know why they do this.

Forest is being dragged to the field evey morning. I swear you can see the look of dissapointment on his face when his turnout rug appears! :D

This morning the only way I could get him to the field was to tempt him with carrotts! And then he is terrible to bring in as he wants to get in NOW and I can never walk fast enough for him so there are always troubles with rearing and dragging etc! :rolleyes:

I have the opposite - I was at the yard extra early today but couldn't turn out immediately as she'd have been on her own, so wanted to tie her up outside the barn whilst I mucked out until some other horses were ready to go out (Moll panics on her own). Yard was an ice rink - Moll charged out of her stable and when I tired to turn her to tie her up she just legged it to the filed - skidding as she went. I caught her and tried again - same thing happened :rolleyes: eventually tied her up. Then when I was redy for her to go out she galloped accross her field like she'd been in a week - she goes out for at least 10 hrs a day :rolleyes:

But as soon as it is dark she'll be at the gate to come in - despite the fact she hates being in :confused: and she's not that hungry.....

newrider.com