Horse flies

I've lived in the forest for the best part of 15 years and have found no spay or magic method to deter these little blighters :mad:, a friend rides and drives her cobs in barrier method style as @domane shows. This works for her, my big lad hated crab flies with a passion but we worked out way through it by never expecting him to keep still when one landed on him, if I went into anything faster than a trot it would normally move, and I would swipe away at it with my schooling whip. Horrible nasty things.
Pony at the moment hates them but bot flys drive her to another level :eek: so I purchased a ride on fly rug for her which seems to help, not helpful having a pony getting worked up and distressed with a nervous child on her ...
Bot flys used to send Ramsey apoplectic, which was totally out of character for him. For whatever reason, they don't bother Hogan as much. It's the crab flies that he goes nuts with.

Sometimes you just have to re-learn things or at least I do, I have a terrible memory :oops: I usually make my own fly spray, but with bugs terrible this year and time lacking I didn't make any and used commercial fly spray/cream, none of which really worked. On Tuesday being so hot I wanted to go home and hide and making fly spray was a good excuse :) since Wednesday I have been plying Jess with my very cheap concoction, figuring a misting of cool damp isn't such a bad thing on hot days and I've noticed the bug irritation has probably reduced by half! I knew there was a reason I usually take the time out to make my own stuff :)

Sometimes you just have to re-learn things or at least I do, I have a terrible memory :oops: I usually make my own fly spray, but with bugs terrible this year and time lacking I didn't make any and used commercial fly spray/cream, none of which really worked. On Tuesday being so hot I wanted to go home and hide and making fly spray was a good excuse :) since Wednesday I have been plying Jess with my very cheap concoction, figuring a misting of cool damp isn't such a bad thing on hot days and I've noticed the bug irritation has probably reduced by half! I knew there was a reason I usually take the time out to make my own stuff :)
Recipe please! :) :) :)

Recipe please! :) :) :)
Nothing elaborate, this time it was black tea made pretty strong 4 or 5 tea bags in 1l of water, 1l of white vinegar, 40 drops citronella and 40 drops neem oil and a tea spoon of any old washing up liquid. Normally I add 20 drops tea tree and 20 drops eucalyptus oil and 1/2 cup of blue mouthwash too, it helps make it even more effective, but I'd run out of those.

newrider.com