Horse getting kicked in field

Good god no. I had to ask my own sister to remove her mare from my field when she first got her as Tia kept kicking the ponies, some were just dirt marks but Star and willow had nasty wounds. She had only been in with them a couple of days.

Quite a few times been kicked. Horse came in the other night with a lump on leg, didnt feel overly hot, underneath it a kick mark. Ive started cold hosing/putting clay icetight on it. Ive had enough of this game.

I have to deal with this quite regularly. Connor is in one of 2 huge fields, mixed herd of 8-12 horses. The first few days he did get kicked a fair bit til they sorted the hierarchy out. Then beginning of summer when the mares came into season there was another power struggle. There's always a kerfuffle when the herds in the 2 fields are swapped round. Sometimes they take the fence down then there's up to 20 all in together. Connor is very dominant and wants to be top and he gives as good as he gets. Unfortunately the yard owner won't contemplate sectioning up his fields and splitting the herd up. I just get into the habit of checking him for wounds every day, just clean them up and put cream on them.

iv just bought a new horse n we put him out with 1 or 2 to start off then sneaked more in over time n he had a few bites n kicks but he kicked an older gelding while he was being led out the field n i was gutted he done that he gave him a nasty belt for no reason in front of me and i couldnt say sorry enough i even got up in the morning and cleaned the geldings wound up the next day the girl who owned the horse was fine about it n said look it happens but i didnt stop me feeling terribile hed done it n if the vet had of been called id of paid the bill

I have to deal with this quite regularly. Connor is in one of 2 huge fields, mixed herd of 8-12 horses. The first few days he did get kicked a fair bit til they sorted the hierarchy out. Then beginning of summer when the mares came into season there was another power struggle. There's always a kerfuffle when the herds in the 2 fields are swapped round. Sometimes they take the fence down then there's up to 20 all in together. Connor is very dominant and wants to be top and he gives as good as he gets. Unfortunately the yard owner won't contemplate sectioning up his fields and splitting the herd up. I just get into the habit of checking him for wounds every day, just clean them up and put cream on them.
the best thing about our yard the mares n geldings do not turn out in the same field n that works

I'd be thinking there's not enough room in the paddock for the horse being kicked to get away from the kicker(an acre per horse is the recommended stocking rate for horses around here and it avoids putting too much pressure on the hierachy, though obv. might not be possible depending on how much land is available). Or I might think that my own horse is constantly trying to fight his way up the hierachy and getting knocked back isn't teaching him anything, so he needs to work on social skills!
If there's any injury like bruising, cuts or the horse seems stressed, I'd probably want to find out what horse is doing it and change fieldmates.

for sure not my horse got kicked in the spring from my friends horse figthing over a mare and this is how his leg looked

srry if there gross

week 1

weekone3.jpg

week 2

weekone11.jpg

week 3

weektwo.jpg

week 6

WEEEEEEEKENDBABY083.jpg

week 9

ZOMGMEANDMANUE060.jpg

now his leg looks like week 9 no cuts just that scar

OMG bad habit thats awful. She's on her own in field. Has horses with no shoes on either side. So I really cannot understand why its happening. Ive been bringing her in at night (because shes up for sale) and to minimise any damage. Also her field mate/stable mate is a cribber. Great. Maybe looking at moving horse. I dont know whats the best thing to do other than to move whether to leave her out during day dont want her in spending a lot of time with cribber in stable next door.

if he he has a cribbing collar on then there should be no prombles [= we have 4 cribbers at the barn they all have them chester billy are both cribbers with 2 mares and they dont crib and chester still cribs and my horse merlot and my friends horse thunder[the one that kicked merlot] are out with a mare a gelding and they dont crib and my horse trys to crib but i hope evrything works out with for you [=

I've had to split Miro and Fabio up as poor Fab was coming in with a cut every other day - not that he's bullied - he gives as good as he gets! Unfortunately, his face seems to take the brunt of it and palomino with grey skin - it really shows!!! Have camrosa'ed him up and put them in seperate fields for now - don't think it helped cos the little shetlands in season so think thats why they were so bad.

I kept one of my old horses at a livery yard when i fractured my back, so that they could excersice him. But more often that not he was lame from a kicking, or mud fever that they "found hard to treat" (which it wasnt, all he needed was vasaline on his legs before he went out!) When i went up to see him one day in the middle of the day (unusual as i usually only saw him in the evenings) he hadnt got a rug on, freezing cold day he was stood at the gate, i asked why and they said he had ripped it, they never phoned to inform me to get him a new rug. when i took the rug home and looked at it it had teeth marks, hoof prints all over it! I was quick to make a huge deal out of it, finally he did get a field with just one other, and they seemed to get on better, but they never could get the mud fever sorted! Which i seemed to have no problem treating!

newrider.com