horse hunting. what you went out to get and what you came back with.

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Saw this on H&H
Thought it would be interesting to see.
When going on a horse hunt,what did you aim to get? And what did you actually come back with?
For me ,I wanted
mare or gelding
15 . 2 - 16.2hh
Not a grey
Not a tb
Good jump on it
Something I could do a bit of everything with.

What I got:
Gelding
17hh
Tb
Good scope just needs confidence
I do love my sox though!

I wanted a 3 yo IDx or ISH with a wonderful, generous and forgiving temperament to teach me how to back and bring on a horse! And that's exactly who I came home with.

I was looking for:
gelding (though would consider a mare if she was right)
7-10 years old
15.2-16.2, probably nearer lower end as I prefer a leg at each corner type
been there, done that - if not a proper schoolmaster at least not new to it all
straightforward type
not grey
ideally IDx, much as I loved D's I knew anything with D in it would remind me too much of my old man & that would be too much too soon
aim was to sell on after 2/3 years

What I got:
gelding
2yo!!!
ended up a very generous 16.2 with a substantial leg at each widely spaced corner - would be big enough at 13.2 lol
will never, if he lives to be 100, be a schoolmaster though he's taught me an incredible amount
straightforward is not in his vocabulary, though he's honest & generous to a fault
chestnut
RID
had him just over 14 years now & he's never going anywhere, never was

What can I say, I saw him by chance & couldn't get him out of my head. All the others I saw, the sensible buys, just made me think of him. Saw him again a few months later, again unplanned, & said I'd have him - I didn't even ask the price! He's a long long way from what I should have bought, he's tested me past my limits & if I loved him even slightly less he'd have been sold a very long time ago & I'd have a lot less achey bits that don't move as well as they used to, but my life would be so much poorer & I wouldn't be the person I am now. A real horse of a lifetime.

The irony is a few years later I bought a 2yo D to keep his lordship company. This little lad has grown into almost everything my list asked for (14.2, so a bit smaller, but carries me) & yet, much as I love him, he's never won the place in my heart that Jim has

Reactions: squidsin and KP nut
I was just looking for something safe and sensible - and that was exactly what I found. I didn't think that he would be quite so big at 16.1hh though, but I quickly adapted to his size and now find it very odd to ride anything smaller.

My advert criteria were:

15.3h plus
Hairy traditional type
Coloured
Allrounder
Bombproof
Likes jumping

Came back with
15.2 dun middleweight cob

Tbh not too bad a match really, Moët has turned out 7 years later to be perfect in every way, except I wouldn't describe her as bombproof, though generally no problem as such but she does have her quirks!!

Reactions: KP nut
First pony:
I was looking for a straight forward part loan of 12"3+ whilst I was graduating/getting a job... Nothing stressful or difficult.

I put my advert on preloved. Within an hour I had a call from someone, whose friend had a pony and it "felt right"...

I got a part loan that soon became full loan and became my own pony shortly after that. Full of problems, issues and complexities... But perfect in everyway and stole my heart.

Second pony:
I wanted a simple, straight forward companion pony...

I got piggywig. He is the definition of the perfect companion - forever pleased to see me, never sick or sorry... A delight to own and have around... Even when he is naughty!

Reactions: Trewsers and KP nut
Hmmm.... most of mine have been chosen at times when I wasn't particularly looking but after TB Roo, with my already waning confidence, I actively started looking to loan something "short, fat and hairy". Five days later Jack was purchased! 16hh, toast-rack and partially clipped. Oops!

Reactions: KP nut
When I was looking years ago I really wanted a youngish 14.2hh arab x welsh on loan, I hunted for ages to no avail, I found Bo who was a 2 and a half year old anglo arab who was for sale, I brought him on first look. He matured at 15.1 and was very quirky but he was my baby and the best.
When I went looking for another I was looking for an unbacked youngster, quarter horse X, again looking for 14.2ish and something with a leg on each corner. I found Jess the other side of the country, she was 18 months old and already 14.2 but she ticked every other box so I went to see her and she was perfect.

Reactions: squidsin and KP nut
Love this thread! Actually as I reflect on buying Thyme I realise I was not initially looking for a 3 yo. My RI told me about her and once I saw her it just fell into place that she was who I had been looking for all along!

The only horse I have ever had that was bought because he ticked all my boxes was Charlie and in the end he has been the one I clicked with least. Maybe we should abandon tick lists and go with heart more?!

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
I wasnt looking! But after breaking my back in a bad accident it certainly wasnt a 13.3 (I was a couple of stones heavier!) Late gelded riggy cob that had been in 2 car accidents and had some deep rooted issues.

It would have been something like - 15.2 middleweight cob, bombproof hack as I never saw myself back out competing. Just pootling hacks!

I was looking for a 15hh cob that had done it all, around the 10 year old mark.

I bought home a 14.2, 3.5 year old haflinger, but I knew he was the one, just clicked when I got on him. He was so nappy and spooky too, I should of run a mile but so glad I didn't :)

Reactions: Jessey
Well I wanted a young 14.2-15hh chestnut Arab mare, ended up with a 14.3hh chestnut Arab x Welsh Gelding who was roughly 12-15 years old. I got him from another member on this forum and had watched his antics over the years, when he was looking for another home again I drove the 200 odd miles to go get him. He's been with me about 7 years now, he still has antics but love him to bits :D

My mums most recent purchase was for a young Connemara or light/middleweight coloured cob mare to make around 14.2, that hadn't done a lot so they could get to know each other well before we backed her, we ended up with a 2 year old Connemara, who's about 14hh now.

My girl Kiki I just saw her add as a foal and wanted her :D

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
I wanted this....

but with a very steady easy going temperament, It's not easy to find ability like that and an easy going laid back horse in the same package. So far, so good, He seems to be a very kind horse, Still shy and nervous, but he has the rest of the winter to get used to me and trust me

Reactions: carthorse
When i finally get back to horses I want a palamino shetty for my little one and maybe a coloured for myself for driving around 14-15hds short coupled thick boned heavy feathering with a black tail!

Reactions: Wally
I wanted a safe sane gelding that "has no issues getting in the trailer" .

Sonny was totally everything the girl said he was and put him in and out of several trailers.
I have pretty much always had horses with "teacup" canters. His is big and bold probably
because he was a" pony horse " bringing race horses out to the starting gate!
The one thing I did not know when I went to see him was his name. When she said
Sonny it sort of creeped me out at first. Since I had Sunny til he was 32.
Probably stupid to think that.
I pretended I did not know his name and he was an AWESOME BOY!
I got a wonderful hones boy! -we brought him home on a Sat and off we went to
a gymkhana the next day!

newrider.com