Horse on loan who pays costs of transport

Shell1981

Feb 13, 2020
I currently have a horse on loan who I have had for nearly two years I paid for him to be shoed, and the transport to myself but the owner has text me saying she now wants him back and being abit nippy with me wanting this and that which I’m doing to keep the peace and putting myself out of pocket but the main reason for my question is she has now stated I should pay for him to go back and not herself anymore and I don’t see why I should when she has terminated the loan agreement and not myself so am I responsible for this cost also

I agree, if they've terminated the agreement, then they should pay for transport IMHO..

Reactions: Huggy
If you wanted to end it then you should pay but as she is ending it, then I would think it is down to the owner. Is there anything in the loan agreement about this?

Was there a written agreement? If there was then whatever is in it stands, but if there isn't then I'd say it's her expense since she wants him back.

Most loan agreements I've seen say that you are responsible for transport there and back and everything in between, but unless this is in writing I would agree, if you give him back you pay, as she is wanting him back she should arrange collection.

Do i read right. You say shes wanting other stuff from you. Like what am i permitted to ask. Especially as you say your are out of pocket. Is she expecting a brand new wardrobe to come back with her horse. Sorry if ive mis read your comment.

He came to me without any injections and I have paid to have these done and now we are onto a strangles test and transport he only came with a saddle so that is all he will go back with the written agreement we have was only for 6 months and we are now two years lasted it was just a simple bhs agreement with the saddle on it

Even if the agreement is only for 6 months I would say the terms have not been changed or they would have issued you a new agreement. You should not have to return him with a current strangles test (unless he arrived with one) unless that was in the original agreement. I would advise them, in writing, that per the original terms of your agreement they are welcome to pick him up at their leisure by giving you 24 hours (or whatever) notice and let them figure it out. If you want to err on the side of caution, most horse insurance policies come with legal support, this is exactly the situation it's designed for so I would give your insurance company a call or look in your docs for the phone number and get legal advise before any more communication with the owner :)

Sorry for your situation - bad enough that she's demanding him back with no reason (Not that she has to give one, but it would be civil do do so), but being snitty about transporting etc is really off. Agree with all the above - she wants to terminate the agreement, so costs are on her.

Personally I'd also be telling her the strangles test is her expense, presumably she wants it because it's a requirement of her new yard. Is there a reason she wants him back? If she isn't claiming insufficient care or anything else breaching the contract I would be digging my heels in re transport, testing and probably other things she

No. Don’t pay for the strangles test. Don’t pay for the transport. She terminated it so don’t pay for any of it. Tell her to come get her horse then have nothing else to do with it

No. Don’t pay for the strangles test. Don’t pay for the transport. She terminated it so don’t pay for any of it. Tell her to come get her horse then have nothing else to do with it
^^^^^ with bells on!

If you say that she has terminated the contract, there are no charges against you. I don't know your situation fully, so I can't give you any advice. But if you want your horse to be all right, you'd better seek advice from Mortgage Advisor Derby. The broker will tell you what to do in your situation. Plus, you'll have a much easier time with the help of a professional who will analyze your financial situation, review offers from banks, and help you choose the best option. Of course, a mortgage broker's services aren't free. But by saving you time and future repayments.

Last edited:
It's a tough situation you're in with the horse loan. Typically, the responsibility for transportation costs would depend on the specific agreement between the lender and the borrower. In most cases, the lender covers the costs associated with returning the horse since they terminated the loan agreement.
It's essential to refer back to the terms you initially agreed upon and see if there's any mention of transportation costs. If it's not explicitly stated, it's worth having an open and honest conversation with the owner to clarify the situation and find a fair resolution.

Edited to delete advertising for mortgages and loans,

Last edited by a moderator:
newrider.com