Horse that doesn't like rugs

MadMumInKent

Feb 27, 2005
Kent
Pumpkin is starting to settle in now, very slowly. He's still unsure about a lot of stuff, but that's to be expected. He's got a new love in his life, a little gelding called Ace, and they can't bear to be apart :rolleyes: Glad he's got a friend though.

Anyway, I tried a rug on him yesterday, but he's clearly not comfortable with being rugged. His reaction isn't over the top, but it's something he's possibly not encountered before, or perhaps only a few times. What's the best way to make him realise a rug isn't going to swallow him? Would I be right in just putting the rug on for a few minutes at a time while he's tied up on the yard, increasing the time every time I do it? I'm worried about just bunging it on and sending him out to the field, in case he has an argument with it and goes loopy.

Any suggestions? Many thanks :)

Jo

I would give him a bit of chaff ina bucket to distract him, then put the rug on (slowly making sure you dont startle him) then when hes finished the chaff take him for a short walk so he gets the feel of it, then take it off, lots of praise, handfull of chaff as a thankyou. Do it evryday, or every other day till hes taking no notice of you and then try it without the chaff.

Hope this helps. :)

I would second No Angel's suggestion (I don't have access to chaff, but would use apples, carrots, muesli, whatever he particularly likes). It's amazing how powerful nice (usually = food :D ) associations can be.
Hope it all goes well!

Fold it up.
With Bixby rather than bundle up the whole thing and put it on top of her we fold it up and then place it on her shoulder ready to 'unroll'. That way she doesn't feel like she is being attacked by a big blanket.
Most blankets have nylon liners, etc and they can build up static- meaning it can actually be physically uncomfortable for the horse to have them put on.
We also noticed that she is most uncomfortable in her stall. It just makes her nervous to have us do much of anything with her in there.

Last edited:
yes fold it and put it on very slowly, not just throw it over him.

maybe get him used to wearing a rug in the stable, then perhaps lead him out in hand in it just till he gets the feel of it.

first thing he will do when loose is roll immediately and get it plastered with mud.

as he is a big boy, get one with a wide chest and shoulder pleat to give him as much freedom of movement - Masta are generous but heavy, Loveson do a high neck with pleat that might suit his front, ditto Buccas.

Thanks for the suggestions. When I tried Tally's one on hm, I did fold it and do it all very slowly and gently, but he wasn't impressed. Thing is, I don't want to do something scary to him every time I see him as that's not going to build up any trust at all. I think I'll do as suggested, with a couple of pieces of apple, and only do it every 2 or 3 days. Many thanks, much appreciated :)

Thanks for the rug suggestions Big Ears, thats really helpful, as he is indeed a chunky boy and I want him to be comfortable. Here he is in all his chunky glory ;)

pumpkinday5bcomp.jpg

Cant really add anything but when you try a rug on, start off with something like a fleece that isnt going to be as heavy or make as much noise as a turnout rug. Also you could try just working with putting a saddle cloth on his back, first in the usual place then eventually move it up and down the back. Just to familiarise him with having something a) put over his back and b) on different parts of his back.
Good luck! He looks a sweetie :)

The more I see him the more I like him, He has lovely eyes, slightly worried peeping out from under the lashes and eyebrow.

once he relaxes I think the eyes will open up more and be more relaxed. he probably is just a bit inexperienced and it's good that you can just take lots of time with him, to get him feeling more confident.

i am just back from being run away with by Rosie!

simple, don't rug him, at least not just yet. my horse was terrified of sprays, sponges, rugs, fly fringes...... list goes on! first winter we had him my dad spent £400 on 2 brand spanking new chaskits for him and he was so unhappy he'd take them off himself in the field. do as others have suggested by folding the rug and doing de-sensitising work but if he's not mad keen on rugs, don't bother with them.

he is a big lad, so go for a decent sized rug. can't beat fals for quality and fit on chunky horses. masta are good too, but i've had problems with my Bucas rug. if you do go for that make, buy a size up.

Alflover said:
Cant really add anything but when you try a rug on, start off with something like a fleece that isnt going to be as heavy or make as much noise as a turnout rug. Also you could try just working with putting a saddle cloth on his back, first in the usual place then eventually move it up and down the back. Just to familiarise him with having something a) put over his back and b) on different parts of his back.
Good luck! He looks a sweetie :)

Old towels are great for this too.Lightweight and easy to hold.Start with a smallish towel rubbing over back and body, then work up to laying towel over back.Then go onto a bigger towel and do the same, then a light fleece etc working up to rug.

newrider.com