Horse that keeps chewing at the bit and opening his mouth???

Spider

Feb 19, 2008
Hes ridden in just a cavesson noseband at the moment, would a simple flash help with the constant chewing and opening his mouth?

Has he had his teeth checked recently? This would be my first course of action. If all ok there and he's still doing it I'd be looking at the confirmation of his mouth and the type of bit you're using. For example if he has a fleshy mouth with a big tongue and a thick bit, there won't be much room in his mouth to accommodate the bit, so might be unhappy about it hence the chewing.

he had his teeth done about 2 weeks ago.
hes currently in a french link snaffle but were going to try him in a full cheek one to see if it helps with steering! The bit he came with was far too big for him so weve just put a smaller one in.

Has he had his teeth checked recently? This would be my first course of action. If all ok there and he's still doing it I'd be looking at the confirmation of his mouth and the type of bit you're using. For example if he has a fleshy mouth with a big tongue and a thick bit, there won't be much room in his mouth to accommodate the bit, so might be unhappy about it hence the chewing.

Open the mouth and chewing the bit are signs of unhappniess and should not be sorted by putting a flash on. Go back a couple of steps and try and find bit that he is happy with (use a bit bank as it can be a long expensive process) it took me 7 bits before I found on ehe liked.

It will also depend on the rider and how they have the contact a sloppy contact will result in opening mouth and chewing. Also a incorrectly fitted but can gve to much movement. You could try round cheek pieces if you find a bit that he likes but moves around side to side to much and helps with steering.

Yes a flash would help you keep his mouth closed, but that's not really a "solution" so much as a cover-up! He is showing resistance to the bit which is most likely to be a result of pain / discomfort and/or a bit which doesn't suit his mouth. If his teeth are ok then I would experiment with some different bits first to see if a different type of mouthpiece / joint suits him better.

You mention you are having trouble steering - how old is the horse, is he young/green?

Last edited:
hes a tb ex racer. he doesnt seem to want to bend around the corners, just flings his head up but we think that was probably because the bit he came with was actually far too big!

Spider I should of checked the picture then I would of remember it was barry we are talking about. How long was he off the track for? and was he professional reschooled?

If not then you have a lots of work to do schooling wise. Racers ae about going fast straight not around corners. You are going to have to take things slowly and start schooling like he is a young one. Go back to flat work over poles and start lateral work to try and encoruage bend slowly.

I recommend a sports physion session as he will probably be quite tight in the neck and reluctant to bend. Start doing sone carrot stretchs on the ground.

It will be a slow process but you have him for years and it will be such a wonderful feelijg when you get him going correct the right way.

he last raced in 2008. to be honest i dont think he has been professionally reschooled. he knows whats hes doing- serpentines, jumping ect.. its just the bending were working on! he likes to cut corners! hes also started going off slightly to the left/right when walking in a straight line but we believe this was due to the mahoosive bit he came with! (6'')

newrider.com