horse trainers, which ones your favorite

sotanimals

Mar 4, 2008
I like the Parellis myself. But on this website I know alot of people don't. If you got free tickets to either Pat Parelli, Monty Roberts, or someone else who would it be?

Becky Holden who does clicker training for groundwork, in hand/long reining and under saddle. She's brilliant and a really nice person too.

Of the 'NH' type trainers it would probably be Richard Maxwell.

John Lyons and his son. Lyons was my textbook, but I never saw them work with horses.
My two top trainers are Rashid and Michael Peace, I never miss a chance to watch. I am a RS rider and both work from horse back. These are what I think of as polite trainers; non-confrontational.

Both Rashid and Peace rely on personal judgement, whereas Roberts and Maxwell have a tangible physical procedure to apply to a problem horse.

I know a young woman who was helped by Maxwell. He is an impressive teacher, showing her what to do, so she could immediately use the lunge and long lines to train her horse herself. So for some people and some horses, I recommend him.

But these trainers all learn from each other. That's why Heather Moffett can endorse both Peace and Maxwell. It really depends how radical you want or need to be with your particular horse. And what safety issues arise.

Steve Halfpenny, Buck Brannaman, Mark Rashid, Richard Maxwell. There are others, but those are the first to come to mind.
I've seen loads of Parelli, wouldn't object to going to some more, especially if it was free! Wouldn't bother seeing Kelly Marks again.

i train parelli and ken faulkner, i actually like all of tehm as any trainer has something to offer us. it's up yo us to be more open minded and listen and take with us the things that we can use with our horse.

Possibly not quite the same thing, but I'd like to see Lucinda Green !

I've seen her, at that big show at Olympia ... what's it called? Horse World? No riding competitions, just demonstrations ... she was brilliant. Michael Peace was there too.

Also Sylvia Loch, at a demo of her own, to launch her new book. She's an amazing rider.

Possibly not quite the same thing, but I'd like to see Lucinda Green !

hmm, me too!! i have no interest in parelli, i've always been influenced and inspired by great riders such as Lucinda, also Ginny Leng, Ian Stark and Mark Todd. Heathe Moffett was amazing, thoroughly enjoyed the demo i went to. but i must say my biggest inspiration is my dressage trainer, she's fantastic :D

I like Ken Faulkners form of horsemanship just finished a 12day super camp in Esk Australia. My horse and i came back with a new respect for each other.

I like both Monty Roberts and the Parelli's...
So i would love tickets to either one!! Although I do have a very open mind, so I wouldn't really mind who I go to see! Every trainer has at least one idea that works!:D

For me it's Alexander Kurland and her clicker training, fab clinics. Recently I've discovered James Shaw, the Tai Chi teacher too.

I'm sure there are lots of good ones.
I've seen Kelly Marks, Richard Maxwell and Sarah Kreutzer at demos and all were really impressive.

Defo parelli fan, we're supposed to be getting becky holden out though, something to do with long reining??:confused: lol

I don't to be honest, Kelly, along with everyone else named here is good enough at what she does not to need to 'cheat' and would have no reason to. Checking a horse for soundness and reactions before a demo (which is what I assume this story actually refers to) is normal and responsible behaviour. What would people think if a trainer worked with a horse that wasn't sound in front of an audience, or one that didn't actually have much of a problem, or not the problem it was alleged to have? I'm afraid people can be at the same place and 'see' completely different things going on.

no, but lunging a horse for on and off for 2hours at 5am , then to hide the sweat wash it off and put it in a uv drying room so for 8.30 you can show how good you are at getting it to load with out too much resistance is cheating in my book ,
plus i did enquire if she would take my horse , that wouldnt load , but she refused

newrider.com