Horse Viewing Experiences

Before getting Freddy we had so many disappointing viewings, but the 2 standout ones were:

Aranged to view one 'good on paper' horse, had been on the phone for nearly 1/2 an hour to the owner asking all relevant questions etc, she said he hadn't done much for a couple of months though due to time issues. Told pics were fairly recent. Arrived to view, owners son was there but she wasn't. Then found out he had been out of work for 2 years, that was glaringly obvious and he was in awful condition! Son tacked him up then said 'now i hope you're gonna be a good boy for me getting on'!!! Didn't really fill me with confidence! Watched him ride (poor horse was given about 2 laps of walk then straight into trot and canter) and its the one and only time i've declined to even ride after going to view as i normally do out of politeness but he looked like he was gonna tank with the son any minute so i valued my safety!

Another 'good on paper' - turned up to see he had severe muscle wastage. The woman was making out to be a private seller but i'd been tipped off that she wasn't but thought i'd go see anyway as sounded what we were after. Her groom couldn't even keep him in a trot! If you're going to get someone to ride for us to see at least get someone who isn't a complete novice to do so! I got on him and he had no bend whatsoever and through in a big buck when i asked for canter.....i heard her saying to OH at this point 'oh, he's NEVER done that before'!!! Then she done the oldest trick in the book of taking a phone call for him whilst we were still there! That horse's ad was changed 2 days later to say flying changes established!!! Silly me - must not have been a buck after all! :rolleyes: Can't go into a canter but can do flying changes?!

There are several others we've viewed similar but i could go on for ages!

I went to try a couple of cobs at a very disgusting yard somewhere in Scotland. My friend and I turned up, the (very camp) dealer made a leud and suggestive comment about my friend's large chest within five seconds of meeting us (she was bent over doing her laces). He then proceeded to tell me that a couple of the horses were in the field over yonder, go take a look. He then didn't appear again for about ten minutes, friend, knowing I was a sap, went and spoke to him, got headcollars and we brought two of them out of the field for a closer inspection.

One of the cobs bit my mate and kicked out when she tried the legs so I said put her back, not good first impressions and I was already reluctant in the situation. The second I was attending to when a young girl approached, told me she'd been riding the horse for the dealer and could get a saddle to try her out for me. Meanwhile the guy was no where to be found. We went round to watch and the dealer was lounging in the sun beside the school. We stood about two metres away from him while he shouted instructions at the rider, including 'don't worry about getting the right diagonal pet.' And then muttered under his breath 'they probably don't know what a diagonal is anyway'.
I turned, said thankyou and walked away.

My other probably isn't something I should mention on a public forum, it got a bit nasty.

I did post this back at the time I was searching for my Dolly - this was one of the less successful viewings - sorry to those of you who read it back then.:happy:

Saw an advert yesterday for a light cob gelding 15.1, 7 years, bombproof would suit a nervous rider or a beginner. Well I am very nervous and have been riding for most of my sixty years but am actually a totally crap rider so that equals skills of a beginner then doesnt it? And at only E1,000 it HAS to be worth the journey of 2 hours out to the coast to see this little gem doesnt it?

Well - did a bit of research and seems this owner is a dealer with a passable reputation, but usually deals in young sport horses not this sort he is advertising. Had a chat with him on
the phone and he assured me this gelding was meant for me - quiet, confidence giver, great with ANY traffic, not much of a jumper (no probs- nor am I) - but loves XC(really? the only XC he'll do with me is up our muddly lane to the grazingfields)
Nothing but nothing spooks this dead head.

Forecast is clear and sunny so this morning of we go - OH mildly protesting - me shushing him with the promise of a lovely seafood meal when we get to the coast.

Half an hour into the journey the sky looms dark and foreboding ahead of us, a single magpie flys past the windsreen - time to turn for home....mmm....might as well carry on. Last hour and a half is driving on motorways (yes we do have them over here too you know!) in torrential hail storms with every european juggernaut on hells earth thundering down on top of us at a zillion miles an hour! OH's complexion is looking a rather attractive shade of puce and I can see a little vein throbbing in his temple - God I hope he remembered to take his pills before we left?Can you tell we dont come up from the country too often.

Despite horrendous conditions we are actually an hour early - so we head of for the harbour and lo and behold - a super little seafood restaurant appeared. After a VERY nice meal and a very strong coffee I rang the seller for final directions for the last couple of miles. Seems he is not at his yard but is on his way from fetching my potential new neddy from an outlying farm. So we drove on up to his place to wait for him.

Now I am not one to judge anyones horses by the state of their yard - many a good horse has come out of the back of a scrapdealers scruffy old yard haven't they? Managed to lift the rusty old gate up and swing it open while several very sorry looking horses stared mounrfully over the fence at me, up to their knees in ****e and mud, dripping wet in stable rugs clinging to their shivering bodies! OMG - poor horses. Drove into the yard - well - Steptoe had OCD compared with this place - so much junk littered about everywhere you could barely find a spot to park, old wheelbarrows, steaming muck heaps in random spots, bits of rusting iron covered in brambles etc. etc. You get the picture.

Hopped out to check the horses out that were fortunate enough to be in their stables, but actually they weren't that fortunate - just they were dry and the ones outside were wet.

In comes dealer man, neddy stomping about a bit whilst he squeezed into a little spot to unload., Opened the box, explaining to me that said horse hadnt demolished the partition - it was already like that. So hes travelled this horse with the partition half busted, half across the horses back flapping backwards and forwards onto the horse. Hmmm..I see. .

So - he took him into the stable, quite a nice black almost cob type,but rather thin to say the least, went to check his teeth with dealer hastily assuring me he is 7 and trying to pull the horses head away from me. Actually he was 5 - rising 6 - but there you go - just a little lie wasnt it - might still be a good 'un?

Then tacked him up and asked me where I wanted to ride him. Well actually I want YOU or somebody else to ride him. NO, no Missus - you must see if he suits you. Yes I will, if when I see YOU ride him he still appears to be what I am looking for? (Got caught like that many, many years ago, leapt straight on a possible new horse and landed straight in A&E - wont be doing that little number again will i?)

With much muttering and dithering he got on, urged the rather reluctant horse through the littered yard and completely by passed the sand school (how very odd!!!) and walked the horse 40 metres up the driveway towards the road, turned and walked him back to me. Said Id rather like to see him actually go right up the driveway to stand him by the passing traffic.

Dealer refused, said he would take me across a small field to a track so I could see him 'go' and THEN he would ride him up to the roadside. OK - fine by me. Track was 100 metres of deep mud and water with a 10 metre stretch that allowed a VERY short trot. For a horse that loves his XC he didnt half give those puddles a wide berth! Then we proceed back up to the roadside, horsey still trying to avoid every puddle, dealer patted him on the bum in a very John Waynish nonchalent way, obviously to show me what a steady old neddy this was, steddy old neddy bucked and shot
forward! Got to the road, Ok when cars went by, white knuckles by dealer and popping eyes from horse when anything bigger went past.

Then asked me was I going to try him - said Id rather like to see him in the sand school first. Why? Because I want to stand back and see how he goes. Do you have an arena at home? No I replied. Then why do you want to see him ridden in the arena if you wont ever ride him in one? By now I could feel a migrane coming on but decided to persevere, afterall we had driven for 2 hours through artic conditions - I was damnded sure he WAS going to show me him ridden in the arena. But frankly, the grouchy old so and so did look a little nervous - so assured him that as it was rather wet and heavy going a bit of walk and trot would do for now.

In he went, walked half a loop, trotted quarter of the longside came over and asked me if I wanted him! Ignored this and asked him why he only had back shoes on. Cos the fronts fell off he said. Very odd that, perfectly trimmed fronts, not an old nail hole to be seen and brand new pair on the back. Then he changed that story and said he just puts backs on for when they do road work???? Another new one on me - have had fronts only on sometimes, but whatever you say.....

By now cobby has done, in total since we arrived, all of 10 minutes work mostly in walk and he is huffing and puffing like a steam engine (nearly got my inhaler out to give the poor horse)- commented that he didnt seem very fit. He explained that he hasnt been riddden for 3 weeks!! JJ has been ridden once in 6 weeks and if he puffed that badly Id be getting him on Ventapulmin

Said that actually was a bit worrying for a young horse and he said what do you expect for E1,000 - well I expect to find the horse you described to me dont I? Not something that has got broken wind already? Asked me if I was accusing him of trying to sell me a dud horse. Denied it emphatically (cor what a naughty old liar I am) just said that if he felt like that and I tried the horse and liked him should I assume a vetting is out of the question. WELL!!!!

VET him!!!! He wont be here by the time your vet gets here missus!!! Now DO YOU EFFING WANT HIM OR SHALL I PUT HIM IN THE EFFING STABLE!!

PUT HIM IN THE EFFING STABLE - at least hes better off in there than in the effing bog with effing dripping wet stable rugs on like the others out there!

By now my OH had already reached the jeep and had the engine running, he leapt back out grabbed me by the arm and hurriedly threw me into the jeep!!!

Thank God I now have my Dolly - dont think I could face the traumas of horse hunting again! :redcarded:

No real interesting stories - the one horse that did stand out was a 14.2 mare that I tried a couple of years ago - I know, I always said that I would ever have another mare after the one that tried to kill me a few years back:redface:

Anyway, mare was at a dealers not that far from me and although I wasnt keen on the dealer - I really like the look of the mare

Mare tacked up when I got there, saw dealer ride her first - all ok so I jumped on, no probs, did everything that was asked of her, dealer asked if I wanted to take her out on a small hack? yes please and off we went - dealer walked infront and I was meant to follow but dealer went one way round a tree and I asked the mare to go the other, big mistake - biggest rear that i'd seen in a while!

Still liked the horse enough to have it vetted - vet came out - this was the first time id seen horse untacked - loss of use under where the saddle would sit:stomp: dealer tried to tell me it was a freezemark that looked like loss of use:wink:yeah right!

Vet took me to one side after vetting and told me to walk away - he thought the horse should have showed up lame and hadnt and wanted to know why:wink:

I then got in touch with previous owners just to make sure I wasnt missing out on a good horse (can you tell I liked the mare??) turned out the mare was a nutter - was being sold in this area miles away from the person they'd sold her to as she was too well known to sell on! And yes, she was a loss of use and should have shown up as lame, and was at least another 5 years older than what we'd been told....

The joys of horse hunting - am not looking forward to finding my next horse - am hoping he finds me!!

I never "viewed silver" I agreed to it all before I even met her :redcarded:.

Rascal was the only companion I viewed - had a few other offers, but he was local and not full of health problems.

Otherwise, I went pony shopping with a friend for her kids. We saw a lovely little mare - fantastic temprement, great to get on and lead about but horrendously fitting saddle. Oddly all the ponies I viewed with her, not one of them had a saddle that remotley fitted. I was shocked by that!

Any way little pony diliigently walked and trotted round with me, then I asked for a canter and she bunny hopped - poor mite did this several times on both reins - just sublty, wanring me, rather than getting me off - we changed to my treeless part way through and she still did it. She couldnt flex her hinds under enough to canter. Owner adament she wasnt lame, and didnt have a problem - proceeded to shout and whip poor pony on the lunge - who STILL refused to canter, seriously broncing by now.

We walked away, and had a phone call later that day to say her friend had looked at her and agreed there was no way she was lame or had any problems...:stomp:

I've only ever looked at four (including STorm) and all were boringly normal me thinks........apart from my nervous riding trying them out!lol. No doubt this time around I'll have a more interesting adventure..........

some of the stories on HHO are heartbreaking. I would find it so difficult to walk away from horse/ponies that are in shoddy condition. It would break my heart.

Too right cfp ,went to see a 16hh 12 yr old many years ago. Got there & the horse was a huge raw boned skinny 17hh plus :eek:,nice people selling him though who tacked him up & threw a girl up to show him off.He was lumbering about seemed unable to go properly,but most of all was he roared so much at trot was worried he'd have a heart attack. Didn't like not to try him as people were so nice so on I got ( all 5ft 2" of me ) & immediately he broke my heart. He came together when asked had his hocks right under him & went really uphill,all the time roaring loudly. He jumped willingly giving the jumps loads of clearance, he was an absolute delight. Friend managed to dissuade me from buying him , was working out how I could raise the money to get him a tie back done :rolleyes:. Still brings tears to my eyes 'cos he truly was a wonderful generous horse that it turned out had competed for years for his lady owner, winning most things he entered only to be dumped when he needed an op. Really wanted to give him a few years in the sun, sadly way too little money to do it

Too right cfp ,went to see a 16hh 12 yr old many years ago. Got there & the horse was a huge raw boned skinny 17hh plus :eek:,nice people selling him though who tacked him up & threw a girl up to show him off.He was lumbering about seemed unable to go properly,but most of all was he roared so much at trot was worried he'd have a heart attack. Didn't like not to try him as people were so nice so on I got ( all 5ft 2" of me ) & immediately he broke my heart. He came together when asked had his hocks right under him & went really uphill,all the time roaring loudly. He jumped willingly giving the jumps loads of clearance, he was an absolute delight. Friend managed to dissuade me from buying him , was working out how I could raise the money to get him a tie back done :rolleyes:. Still brings tears to my eyes 'cos he truly was a wonderful generous horse that it turned out had competed for years for his lady owner, winning most things he entered only to be dumped when he needed an op. Really wanted to give him a few years in the sun, sadly way too little money to do it

God that is such a sad story.:cry: How can people discard a faithful old horse like that?:devil:

So sad the way horses are treated!

I haven't really bought a ridden horse, i have always bought youngsters and brought them on myself. I don't think i've had a horse vetted yet and i paid for it with one horse because of his worm damage. Still loved him and wouldn't change him for the world except to take away the damage.

Well, where would I start?! As has been said before, I could have written a book!! And those were just the ones I shared with you! There were plenty more! :banghead:

I don't think i've had a horse vetted yet and i paid for it with one horse because of his worm damage..

not sure how even a 5-stage vetting would pick up worm-damage, unless they had diarrhea?

I haven't bought many, but have never had one vetted either. (mind you, most of my purchases have been by out-bidding the meat-men at markets)

I am appalled at how people sell on old faithfuls when they can no longer compete - I really believe PTS is kinder than being sold on, unless you KNOW they are going to a permanent kind home - and can guarantee they won't get sold on again.

newrider.com