horse with very itchy neck

stressy

Apr 22, 2009
sunderland
My friends horse has scrubbed away a large chunk of his mane and has also rubbed the skin off his neck so badly that the area has gone bald and scabby. He has been treated for mites and fleas but hes still itchy, hes on a supplement to try and help (think its global herbs) but anyone have any other ideas as to what it might be? Hes not itchy anywhere else- just the neck area. his owners have since cut his mane short in case this was irritating him but hes still itchy!

Could just have become a habit - I know during the summer my mare itched her tail for no reason (it wasn't particularly midgy when she started doing it). Vet suggested something with benzylbenzoate in, we got D-itch which did the trick. You have to persist with it tho.

Stating the obvious here,but are you sure it's not sweet itch?? Sounds like classic SI to me,and midges are bad just now (well here they are anyway).

Has he been moved recently?? Could be reacting to something new plant wise,or again could be SI as new place has more midges,is more low lying,damp etc.

Most horses are itchy and rubbing/biting a bit at the mo due to coats changing,but if you sure it's not that then would start looking at what has changed in his routine or environment.

ETA: AFAIK horse do not get fleas,so not sure why would treat for that?? If I'm wrong I stand corrected but I have never heard of a horse with fleas,and I thought they didn't get them.They do get lice though and not sure if you mentioned treatment for that?? Is more likely to be lice than mites TBH as it's around the mane area.

Last edited:
Frankie gets very itchy on his head/neck when he has overdosed on grass - he doesn't itch at all when he has been out with his muzzle on.

newrider.com