Horse won't go forward

corp

Jan 15, 2002
Visit site
My horse seems like an angel compared with some of yours but he has a mysterious problem. Has anyone else ever experienced this and solved it?

Mac is 15.2hh and a step up from 15 hands for me. I am quite small, only 5ft. Anyway, he will go beautifully for the most naff taller riders but objects to my Mum and me. It seems to be related to short people because we paid a girl to come in and she could do nothing with him.

If we long rein him first he's fine. We compete at elementary level dressage so it's nothing to do with skills. We've tried every conceivable technique. Give him lateral work to do and he thinks he's the bees knees, but ask him to go forward in trot and its as if he locks his shoulders and refuses. His paces are to die for and he's surely destined for Wembley as a show horse.

Any suggestions? Varying his work does not help. The more he hacks out the less he wants to school. HELP!

Alison.

Sounds like we both have a similar problem.

I know my pony - 14.2hh welsh cob 11 yrs - won't go anywhere if you put a jump in the school. He's ok without a rider, and fine with other riders but with me he just won't move. If I walk over the jump - he's fine and he will follow me. Take the jump out of the school and he's brilliant! His paces are great and he has jumped before - tallest he's done ridden is 4"9 - you wouldn't believe it when I mount - it's like he suddenly forgot everything!!

I am confident jumping up to 2"6 so I don't think it is him picking up my nerves - I have no idea what is causing it.

He's great to free-school - as is yours it seems. Will Mac do anything for you under saddle?? Will he walk on, trot or just stand there?

Maybe if we put our heads together we can crack this problem?

Nicola

newrider.com