Horseboxes and the Low Emission Zone

alwaysfallingof

Jul 17, 2004
London
Visit site
Right, Londoners. I've read in various non-official places that even though 3.5 tonne boxes have been included in the list of vehicles that have to pay in the LEZ, if you have a box that emits under a certain amount of CO2 that you don't have to pay.

I can't however find anything official saying it, or find out what this threshhold is. I live literally 10 yards inside the LEZ, and at the moment am weighing up the pros and cons of swapping my little car for a little box.

If I'd be eligible for LEZ charges, the whole idea is a no-go.:(

Theres an on line compliance check at

http://lezlondon.tfl.gov.uk/lez/vehicles/default.aspx

You do need the VRN number (thats the thing stencilled on the engine apparently) to check it but I'm sure a seller would let you have that if you ask.

There are adjustments you can make to vehicles so they don't have to pay and the newer models may well already be compliant. The details are on the LEZ website here http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx

You may well be OK with the little eqiport one horse van thing - but you should check with the manufacturers as well.

Alternatively - could you park outside the LEZ and walk? There are several yards close to me in the same situation you are - you may in fact be on one of them. Some park their boxes over the A3 at one of the yards there and hack across - although I accept that is not necessarily the most convenient!

Thanks for the replies :). It's such a minefield. Notpoodle, my yard is outside the LEZ (by about half a mile) so all the liveries are fine (just not competing at Trent any more!).

Thanks for the info Che's, it's the VRN stuff that was confusing me, I didn't know what it was or whether any 3.5 ton vans would be compliant. Unfortunately parking it elsewhere and walking wouldn't be an option, since I'd have to sell my car and it would be my only vehicle. I could get to shows ok, but not to Tescos:p

I will contact some sellers and see if I can get the engine-number thing, thanks :)

newrider.com