horseboxes wht can i drive?

twinkle11

Oct 23, 2005
essex
looking for a horsebox to carry a 16.2 stocky horse and a 12.2 pony or a friends horse 16.1. so looks like im going to have to get a 7.5ton is that correct?

i past my test 2003 and im 21.

does this mean i have to do my lgv test or not?

what kind of box could i get without taking another test that
would carry two horses safely?

and if i do have to do my lgv test how much is it and how long does it take?

sorry so many questions

well really confused as to what i will be able to drive any help much a aprieciated

because you passed your test post 1st jan 1997 you CANNOT tow a horse trailer and you CANNOT drive a horsebox over 3.5tons. If you were to buy a non-hgv lorry (over 3.5ton, less than 7.5ton) you would need an lgv licence to add categories C and E to your current licence. This costs about £1000 to do the training and test. A training centre local to me advises 2 weeks intensive training. I was quoted £80 for a towing test and limited training.

The only vehicle you could get into straight away and drive is a small 3.5ton horsebox. but with a stocky 16.2hh AND a pony i'd think you'd be overweight on most of the small conversions.

Not sure which, but either Your Horse or Horse & Rider had an article about horseboxes, what you can drive etc. Might be useful to stand in a quiet corner of WH Smith's and have a peek.

newrider.com