Horseboxes

Jayne

Oct 12, 2014
Hi anybody own their own box ??
I mean one that you drive, not tow !
Just wondering roughly how much insurance you pay.
How much to run,
Also how much for the standard MOT.
My OH would drive it. Hes driven and towed alsorts with work and had his license nearly 30yrs.

I've got £10,000 to spend on a car and im thinking of doing half on a second hand box. Probably aroubd 5.5 ton. Becca's 16.3 and I need something that will take 2 that size.
Thanks in advance to any replies. [emoji1]

Reactions: tikkitti
Hi, Sorry I'm of no help but I will watch this thread with interest seriously considering changing to either a triple trailer or a 3.5 2xhorse wagon and would love to know costs nowadays? x

I have a 18 year old 3.5 tonne lorry. I pay about £180 per year fully comp insurance for myself and my husband to drive. The MOT costs the same as a car (about £50) and servicing costs are similar to a car as well. This year my annual service including MOT cost about £220. I also pay £80 per year breakdown cover and have road tax as well which I think was is about £250. I have been very lucky in that it hasn't needed much work in the 2 years since I have had it. Including diesel, it costs about £1000 per year to run.

The costs of a 5.5 tonne will probably be more as you will have to get this plated rather than MOT'd.

Reactions: Jayne
We just bought our first 3.5 ton box this year it was under 8 thousand for a 11 year old box in immaculate condition. I love it and the freedom it give us with our ponies. I would rather have the horsebox than a posh car any day of the week :)

I have only had mine 3 months so not 100 percent sure of the running costs so far but would hope it was similar to Mary Poppins box :)

A 5.5 ton box should also be cheaper to buy than a 3.5 ton. Because only people with older licenses can drive them.

Last edited:
I have a 18 year old 3.5 tonne lorry. I pay about £180 per year fully comp insurance for myself and my husband to drive. The MOT costs the same as a car (about £50) and servicing costs are similar to a car as well. This year my annual service including MOT cost about £220. I also pay £80 per year breakdown cover and have road tax as well which I think was is about £250. I have been very lucky in that it hasn't needed much work in the 2 years since I have had it. Including diesel, it costs about £1000 per year to run.

The costs of a 5.5 tonne will probably be more as you will have to get this plated rather than MOT'd.
Thanks. How big is Ben MP

Thanks. How big is Ben MP

Ben is 16.1hh and weighs at least 600kg. While he fits easily into my lorry and I could physically put another horse his size in there as well, I can't because 2 horses will take me over the payload.

I don't know the exact weight of my lorry, but I was told that the payload was no more than 1,100kg. The weight of Ben, myself, a possible passenger and all my equipment would take me to about 900kg so there is no weight left for a second horse.

I take either 1 x 14.1hh Highland pony and 1 Fell ( with only a driver and no equipment .... we follow in a car) or two x Fell ponies in mine ( also no equipment or passengers)or 1 x Highland pony and tack and me as well as my partner driver

Thats the advantage of having smaller ponies, I guess that your fell ponies would weigh quite a bit less than my huge horse.

Do you know the exact payload of your lorry? I want to find a weigh bridge to get mine on.

Well i went horsebox hunting last weekend. Saw some right sheds I can say lol [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33]
But one stood out. 7.5t
4stalled
Leyland Daf.
24ft long.
With a living bit in it. we took it for a drive and we're picking it up this Saturday.
Insurance sorted , fully comp, OH as driver £210.
Ive got a week off in November so hoping to do our first trip. Im so excited . 5 yrs ago who'd of thought I'd own my own horse never mind a box. Can't wait to get out in it. Ive got plans to scrub and clean, and do up the accommodation part. I've even been looking at places to go on holiday with your horse.
One thing concerns me, that I'll always have to have someone else with me so she'll settle. Do you think once she gets used to going in the box (shes not travelled for a few years) she'll settle and I'll be able to go on my own.?
Also has anyone taken the test so they can drive one.
Ill post pictures when I get it home
[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Woohoo! Congratulations!

I'm too old to have had to take the test, so can't help you with that. Why do you think you'll need another horse with you for Becca to settle. Does she have a history of being a difficult traveller?

Looking forward to the pics :)

How exciting. One of the reasons I got a 3.5 tonne was so that I didn't have to take a test. I am sure it won't be that hard though. Let us know how your trip goes.

How exciting, look forward to seeing some pics, I'm sure the test won't be too difficult and will be well worth it to have the freedom to go on horsey holidays:) I can imagine finding a good horse box must be like looking for a needle in a haystack, glad you found one. xxx

I would be careful of weight as very few 7.5 t could legally carry 4 although they may be stalled as such!! My daughter did the full class C test after a four day courseand found it easy , I am old enough not to need a test but still wanted lessons as driving it is so different !!

I did my lorry licence recently after 3 days of training. Easy as pie once you're used to the size. I loved driving their lorry, could've driven it all day.

I did my lorry licence recently after 3 days of training. Easy as pie once you're used to the size. I loved driving their lorry, could've driven it all day.
How much did it cost you. Ive been told around £1500? Might have to wait until after the new year, when ive saved some more pennies

Woohoo! Congratulations!

I'm too old to have had to take the test, so can't help you with that. Why do you think you'll need another horse with you for Becca to settle. Does she have a history of being a difficult traveller?

Looking forward to the pics :)
Not a difficult traveller, just when we get to the other end and I plan on going away for a few days next year. I'm not sure that she's gonna settle. But I'll try it and see how she goes. Only time wil tell.

newrider.com