Horses hooves advice

Jay2912

Jul 16, 2018
Can anyone explain why my horses hooves have like skin flaps presuming from the frog area . do they cause horse discomfort? What should i do?
Thanks

Sometimes they can look a bit tatty / flappy. Don't think it's anything to worry over. When was your horse last trimmed? Farriers generally don't mind lots of questions either lol least none of mine ever have! Next time why not ask them?

Reactions: Jay2912
I would guess it’s just the frog shedding, if you are worried could you ask your farrier to take a quick look?

Mine has just shed all four frogs. As it happens I’ve been to the Farrier’s today and he said he’s lost count of the number of clients who’ve experienced the same thing in the last couple of weeks. Said it’s due to the extreme dry spell and then when we get some rain they just come off.

Must say I was rather alarmed when I saw the first one but luckily I’m on a yard with a lot of support so was able to ask what was going on. Agree, if you’re worried speak to your farrier though.

Sometimes they can look a bit tatty / flappy. Don't think it's anything to worry over. When was your horse last trimmed? Farriers generally don't mind lots of questions either lol least none of mine ever have! Next time why not ask them?
Thanks he had feet done 4 weeks ago and was fine

Mine has just shed all four frogs. As it happens I’ve been to the Farrier’s today and he said he’s lost count of the number of clients who’ve experienced the same thing in the last couple of weeks. Said it’s due to the extreme dry spell and then when we get some rain they just come off.

Must say I was rather alarmed when I saw the first one but luckily I’m on a yard with a lot of support so was able to ask what was going on. Agree, if you’re worried speak to your farrier though.

Ye i was worried to but someone said same as you so im a little bit more at ease. Thank you​

Reactions: Bodshi
Ziggy has an enormous chunk just about to come off one frog. I'd love to help it off but I don't have a nice sharp frog parer like my trimmer has! I don't think it's anything to worry about.

newrider.com