Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Horses need to learn

Discussion in 'Training of the Horse and Rider' started by newforest, Sep 1, 2018.

1. OwnedbyChanter

OwnedbyChanter With out my boys life would be bland

@MrC totally agree with you.

I don’t have a set routine therefore they never play up on winter to come in as they don’t know what time that will be anywhere between 1730 and 2000 depends on work

MrC likes this.
  2. newforest

newforest Why have grain, when you can have yummy grain

No I don't think you are avoiding anything. However you said that practice makes the horse more comfortable with situations. It hasn't for us.
    By leaving mine alone to walk in slightly behind things are fine.
    To alter that I would have to keep on tapping her when she drops, most of the way out and on the way back, everyday because it's not the natural place for her. So I would cause the problem that wasn't there, rather than solve one there before.

Jessey and Cortrasna like this.
  3. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

Practice that isn't pushing them too far, I also said not dropping them in the deep end with things, Hank was going off the deep end every time hense it was getting worse so I mitigated it. You initially said you couldn't lead Tilley beside or she would rear and object, but on further discussion you said you can just that she drops back and would need constant reminders to move forward, those are quite different levels of non-compliance and the latter I probably wouldn't be too concerned with but a full on tantrum I would, but either way considerate exposure to the situation does generally result in them being more comfortable with things.

4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. newforest

If I keep on insisting she move forward when she drops, I will get the tantrum. I agree completely its rude and bad manners. However she wouldn't if I didn't wind her up by keeping on.

If the horse leads on a loose rope it leads.
    That's what my farrier was referring to in the original post I started. We can create a behaviour that wasn't there because we demand compliance to fix something that doesn't need it.

I tried to get a photo of where she is and took the sky! Have you guys had lovely blue sky.
    By her neck but usually her head is by my shoulder. To me she's leading fine, do I need to keep pushing her back to here? Either spot is ok.
    PicsArt_09-02-06.02.13.jpg

6. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Dappled sky. Not long dry:p

newforest likes this.
  7. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

Lots of blue sky here, it's been beautiful :)

newforest and Trewsers like this.
  8. Trewsers

image.jpeg
    Same here until about an hour ago.
    Lol look at Chloe's shadow this morning, I was scratching her legs! (She isn't really such a weird shape:oops:)

Cortrasna and Jessey like this.
  9. Cortrasna

Cortrasna Grumpy old nag

sometimes on a sunny day i get that sort of shadow from Dolly...and me lol! Its then I usually resolve to do some belly lifts with her and a few press ups myself! :rolleyes::D

Trewsers likes this.
  10. newforest

The white part looks like a cats head.

Trewsers likes this.
  11. newforest

It's this the next bit of sun they talked about.

Jessey likes this.
  12. Pete's Mum

Pete's Mum Well-Known Member

I've found that unless you work shifts or horse is at grass 24/7, it's difficult to *not* have a routine - albeit it by default!

I'm lucky with Pete as he doesn't overly care if I get to the yard at 6am or 9am or if he's worked in the morning or evening. As long as he has food, he's quite happy :D

But given that I work 9-5.30pm he does pretty much go out and come in the same time Monday-Friday.

Yard rules also dictate that the first person there feeds that block of horses. So by default, he's fed at approximately the same time - or certainly expects to fed by the first person arriving in the morning.

In the winter, yard bring in times dictate the yard brings him in before 5pm - so by 3.30/4 or on sight of the yard staff at the field gate, he's expecting to come in.

I'd have a much looser routine if I didn't work set hours or he wasn't on a livery yard with dictated winter turn out times.

13. Trewsers

I work from home and still find we have a routine. It just happens that way. Why fix what's not broke?!!! I guess I could try randomly feeding them at different times or bringing them in at odd times, but everything works for is as it is.

Pete's Mum likes this.
  14. newforest

Then you would be confused. :D
    We are to a point creatures of habit. I get up, pop to the loo and put the kettle on. How many other ways are there to do that.

Horses aren't thick. Saddle on the block when she comes in I'm going to be using it, no saddle you might be doing something else.

Seeing me doesn't mean I am getting you, just now I might be distracted by a plant. :rolleyes: I scared the lot when I first crouched to take a photo. Now they see this weird creature and ignore it.

Cortrasna and Trewsers like this.
  15. KP nut

KP nut I'd rather be riding.

I bring in/turn out other horses fairly often. We all do. My kids fetch Amber. She's a big girl! I have no problem with where they walk - unless they barge me or drag me. In which case yes I address it then and there. I don;t think of it as training so much as self preservation.

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties