Horsey problems here ! We can help each other.

Jenny--x

Jan 26, 2009
Bored so thought I would make this thread x ... my 1st problem is feeding high energy feeds to lazy stubborn mare ... good idea or not ?

Each way on this maybe a little more, but if shes lazy theres nothing you can do about it,LOL just work her evey day until her fitness is up. i do this but my cob is still a lazy so maybe wont work. Someone at the livery gave him oats yesterday and i ended up the ditch! and with a bucking mad pony.
Also what should i feed him when i go to collge hes going to be worked everyday for about a hour execpt sunday.
http://www.newrider.com/forum/album.php?albumid=2436&pictureid=22341

A small volume of high energy, quick-release fees mixed in with your horse's current feed will encourage "sparkle" without fizz. No feed will change your horse's natural temperament but there are some things you can do. I agree with getting her fitter, too. Slow release energy feeds will just make her feel stodgier, lazier and encourage weight gain, most probably.

x

Hi,

I think alot of people can over do the feeding in terms of hard feed or some miracle feed. Most horses will do just fine on forage alone and light work is classed as riding every day, schooling and jumping so I think that covers a huge range of people - I would put together a fitness plan - make sure she has ad lib forage all day and night - and then do some schooling with her, as she needs to know, when the leg is on, it means forwards no questions asked!

Best of luck.x

P,s Of course some horses need hard feed to keep weight on alone and if the horse is in hard work, or depending on their breed but I think alot would do better without!

Well I'm not one for complecating feeding, but my ex cob was very lazy, he was about the right weight and was hacked out 6 times a week for about 2 hours; I used to feed him on Spillers Instant Response quick release feed. Just half a scoop in the morning. It really did work!

I knocked it off around end of September time as he was more lively in the winter after being clipped :D

These feeds are good for lazy types as they tend to burn off the extras calories working.

newrider.com