Hounds, hunting and surprisingly calm ponies!

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
I knew the hunt were local today and would be going over the farm where my guys are all kept. Always bit of a worry as Barney in particular was a big time Hunter in his former life and has in the past jumped fences when they are close (never external thank god!)
I was also informed that the hunt masters mum would be unloading and parking on our yard.
So plan was to pop them all out early for a couple of hours then bring them in to hopefully minimise the madness.
They were out munching hay piles, I was mucking out.... when the first lorry of hounds arrived. Followed by lorry after lorry. You know those competitions, how many marbles fit in a jar, this was how many lorries would fit on the yard!
grabbed mine back in quickly!
We basically had a full blown “pre-meet” on the yard :0
This at one point would have really stresses me out but I was amazed how well my horses dealt with things and how calm little Oz managed to stay. I’m all for exposing them to stuff at home because you never know what you may meet out hacking! I’m sure we will have some madness when they are in the fields adjacent to the stables but so far so good! Who knew!

Glad they coped so well. We met the hunt out years ago - Ramsey was a total star, but my friend's Fell turned herself inside out!

Jake and barney have both hunted a lot so meeting on either of them would have been difficult but not a disaster. I think I’d die meeting them in Oz, who although as I say coped amazingly out hacking things really can still upset him big time!
Was a bit annoyed on my return home from work. My yard gate was wide open, they had obviously been in and out using my hose but wouldn’t you think horsey people could shut a gate behind them! Also left horse poo over the main yard, a few plastic cups dotted round and my boys beds were horrific!!

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
When you say beds were horrific does that mean that the visitors put there horses in your stables.
What about cross contamination of disease. Im sorry but in the farming industry we are getting more and more regulated with rules on disease and movement restrictions ive become a bit conscious about this sort of thing. Maybe im misreading the post Toz.

When you say beds were horrific does that mean that the visitors put there horses in your stables.
What about cross contamination of disease. Im sorry but in the farming industry we are getting more and more regulated with rules on disease and movement restrictions ive become a bit conscious about this sort of thing. Maybe im misreading the post Toz.
No, my horses were in their stables. I’m assuming from the open gate etc (it’s a gate separating my little private yard from the farm yard which is where they had permission to be) that when I was gone horses were taken onto my part to be washed off (I have a concrete bit with tie ring and hose etc) my horses were calm when I left but something obviously got more exciting while I was at work. I’m just guessing really that that thing was a stream of unknown horses being washed off under their nose. Oz in particular has this habit of rolling madly if I hose any other horse. It looked like he’d been running circles, rolling and generally crapping a lot!

Ah yes I thought they'd parked their horses in your horses boxes whilst yours were out. Still sounded annoying for you though.

newrider.com