How about a FAQ for adults with ponies?

Bubblepony

Feb 2, 2007
So happy I found this forum! BUT I have a suggestion if I may be so bold! How about a FAQ sticky at the top of this forum for adults who are thinking of getting or riding smaller ponies? I've gone through the posts and there is thread after thread after thread of "Will I be too big?", "What size pony can I ride", "I'm an adult, can I ride this breed?" Naturally people are going to keep asking these questions and I would have loved to have seen a sticky at the top of the forum when I joined discussing the weights that ponies could typically carry, photos of members with their ponies etc!? It would be really handy I think! Anyone agree?

i agree coz i have asked about this on a thread and not relly came to a conclusion on a weight that i think will be ok. i am still dieting coz at the mo i wouldnt ride my pony at the weight i am!!!!

I think that the thing with weight is that people tend to think "I'm far too big" without actually giving credit to how much the pony can carry. There have been loads of weight threads recently and most have ended up going around and around in circles and it can be quite hard to find the information you are actually looking for.

I think a closed sticky stating the advised weights (I think it's something like 25% of the horse's body weight, which has to include your tack?) would probably be useful. That way, people don't have to post to ask the question, they can work it out for themselves. As for height, I have seen some fantastic pictures of tall, thin girls hacking out on Shetties and having a whale of a time :D .

I'm sure that someone with a lot more knowledge than myself will respond to this:confused: I know there are a few formula's for working out what a pony can carry, but i think there is so much to be taken into account. There is bone density, conformation, the work it is expected to do, the terrain, the ability of rider, fitness levels of both. I think thats why its not possible to have a accurate calculation.
I am always amazed and impressed by the 14.2 Arabs carrying a 13 stone, 6'2" man for 100 k!!!, sometimes over extreemly hilly terrain with a time limit. Yet if a bloke of same size decided to by a horse for a 'hacking and pleasure', which is considerably less demanding, he would probably be advised to get a 16hh plus medium weight.
If we look at the Icelandic folks and their horses, tough wiry things which will carry 16 stone men for hours and the mongolian horses, also little and tough, carrying slightly smaller men who prob weigh around up to 11 stone (?) up mountain sides, it gives us some idea of how us in the UK get it wrong, thinking ponies are for children. Whew, Rant!:D :D
000_0159.jpg

aww blessed be the HOney :D

not such a silly questiun, since some people seem to think anything with exmoor markings (eyes, muzzle) is an exmoor or an exmoor x when in fact theres hardly any exmoors x-s out there at all because theyre so rare :D

Julia
x

perhaps a sticky photo thread then.. that is open for photo's and details of weight of rider and height of pony.. type of work etc

would that work? I know i'd be interested.. and have asked the same question regarding our Section A and recently before buying a New Forest Colt for myself (sire is 14.2).

I see where you are coming from OP. But I dont think you can put a definitive weight or size that a pony can carry. A friend of mine owned a 14hh cob x that could really easily carry 13 stone. But the pony in question was NOT happy to carry this weight. So therefore you can define the weight and size that ponies can carry. I think it is more to do with what each horse is happy to carry. :)

newrider.com