How accurate can we be?

horseygal90

Going
Aug 27, 2004
When judging weight from a picture?

As winter rolls in, more and more threads on weight are popping up - Is my horse too fat, too thin, just right? I was just wondering, how can we judge this from a picture and is it ok for horses to carry a little bit more as the weather turns colder (I'm not talking obese here, I'm talking a little bit of belly!) - I know I'd rather see a slightly overweight horse in October than a slightly underweight one.

Do condition scoring charts take breed into account? An American QH will look fat next to a TB, and will have a higher conditon score, surely? And aren't condition scores based on feel - Thus making them pretty pointless to evaluating a photograph? Is a horse ever a perfect 5 (I presume it goes from 1 to 10?)?

Sorry if that comes off a little weird or disjointed, it's not meant to be! I'm just curious about this, it's not something I know a lot about (it's late, I've got a headache! Perfect time for learning!). I love weight threads because you get gorgeous pictures with them :D Is there any other way of gauging fat? Or a more accurate way from a picture?

Go on, teach me all you know about fat horses!

i agree. especially about the condition charts. do they actually take into account breed and confirmation? you wouldnt exactly want to be comparing a TB to a clydesdale.
with alot of horses going into winter, as grass gets all muddy and wet, drop weight, and i think i would rather them go into winter with a little bit extra and come out after winter loking perfect, than going into winter with perfect weight and coming out looking skeletal.

Condition charts don't really need to take into account breeds though, as far as I am aware. They evaluate if the animal is overweight or not by fat areas and coverings on a horse. It is not comparing breeds or anything like that. An underweight TB would look ribby, just as a Clydesdale would - what we have to remember though is that condition scoring isn't totally accurate but is a very close guide and extremely useful.

newrider.com