How are criollos broken in?

Also i do not care how my terro as broken in at all in argentina. at the end of the day the breacking in of any horse is traumatic.

So you think its fine that many Criollos get such treatment, because "at the end of the day" it all boils down to the same thing? :confused:

Clearly you slaqgged off the criollo by calling it a continent reject that is what i objected to. I didn't say my horse was any different to yours or anyone elses. I care for 4 horses who are all of british breeding as well as my own. I do not treat them any different to mine and i love them all the same no matter if my personal own is a argentian criollo or if harry is a welsh section a or if gin if a welsh section D. There all my responcerbilty of care and i love them all. Also i do not care how my terro as broken in at all in argentina. at the end of the day the breacking in of any horse is traumatic. Working with my work college to break in a welsh pony even being as careful as we can we still frightened the hell into her when we tried her with the dummy. Think about it horses arn't ment to carry people!

Actually if you read my post I didnt call YOUR horse or anyones horse a continental reject.

Stop trying to make things personal so you have a reason to be rude.

And the breaking in of many horses doestn involve a beating (well I would hope it wouldnt) I havent beaten any horses being backed with a pole when tied to a post, so stop closing your eyes to the horror and accept that yes you have a lovely quiet horse to ride but the reason you have that is that the horse was beaten until it realised that no matter how much fight it put up it was still going to get beaten.

Read what i have written other than just sucking out the bits you think you can act offended to!!:rolleyes:

Nikki xxxx

My horse clearly hasn't gone through this training seeing he dosn't seem to know what the words subbmissive and quiet means. Kt can back me up on that one. I'm not saying beating a horse is right but i've seen plenty of english riders man handle theres horses. Enlgish riders are very whip happy. And Nikki your comment basicly said. If its not english its a reject from somewhere else. So you have called my horse and everyone yuou have offended horse a reject. And i have read all your posts are you sure your doing the same to mine?

Terroro

OMFG

Are we all adults on this board or have I misunderstood something here ???!!!???

Obviously I am a brainwashed idiot, cruel horse owner because I own 2 Criollos - well so be it.

We are not Brainwashed - Mrkia+me. You seem to think very highly of yourself and your childish opinions, however you really ought to keep some things to yourself, for the sake of politeness and peoples feelings.

I have 2 criollos. The only reason I bought them was because I happen to have worked with the breed and know their traits etc. They are hardier than most "English" bred horses among other things, and also much saner. However this may well be down to their breaking methods, of which yes they are cruel too, however they get results. If I need to condone their methods then so be it. I know that I have a horse that I can trust totally, no ifs or buts. This has been proven on many a hack out with friends when their wonderful bombproof english horses with many more miles on the clock and age also have freaked out at the slightest thing, and we wander on past on our youngsters without a care in the world.

I have worked with several different horses of both UK origins and that of horses from abroad too, and find many methods and practices used by so called "horselovers" in this country far more abusive, inc some people on this forum.

If you dont like what you read then dont rise to the challenge of what you dont understand.

Many thanks for your rude rantings about our wonderful breed THE CRIOLLO

My horse clearly hasn't gone through this training seeing he dosn't seem to know what the words subbmissive and quiet means. Kt can back me up on that one. I'm not saying beating a horse is right but i've seen plenty of english riders man handle theres horses. Enlgish riders are very whip happy. And Nikki your comment basicly said. If its not english its a reject from somewhere else. So you have called my horse and everyone yuou have offended horse a reject. And i have read all your posts are you sure your doing the same to mine?

Terroro

Hate to tell you but it didnt say that if 'its not english its a reject' your putting words in my mouth:rolleyes: if I wanted to say that I am blunt enough to have said just that:rolleyes:

If an am going to say something then I just say it I donot beat about the bush it is said then everyone knows what I have said and why i have said it!!!

I have stated my opinion on the matter and thats that in my view. i havent said Terroros horse is this or terroros horse is that have I??? You have instigated that I did and are looking quite childish to boot for that.

If you want to continue to find something about my posts to get upset and indignant about feel free just more timewasting for you in my eyes.

God debs and pets calm yourself down a debate is going on about the ethics of horse beating some people have taken it as a personal offence about their horses when no=ones specific horse has been mentioned. Its a generalised debate and as for my high opinion all I have to say tho that is :rolleyes: I dont feel the need to think highly of myself as my views are my own. You dont have to accept them or even acknowledge them if you dont want to do they affect you in some way??? Have I named your horses and trashed them??? No I havent I have just expressed my sadness and outrage at the treatment of horses. Many others have as well if you care to read the thread.

Nikki xxxx:)

Last edited:
As I almost always say, I am not a frequent poster, only lurker (especially as I no longer have a horse) but I feel I must mention this. If you are disgusted by the way in which the criollo was broken then you cannot at the same time praise its temperament, because I think it is clear to everyone that one is often the direct result of the other. In other words, in my opinion, if you are buying a criollo for temperament then you are buying into the system that produced it, and whether or not you agree with that system is a personal decision.

As I said black topaz I am such a cruel horse owner

Mrkia+me enjoy your opinions.

In the meanwhile us Criollo owners will continue to enjoy our wonderful horses. If you dont like it you can all lump it !!!!!!

Debs

Last edited:
Debs and pets, that is CERTAINLY not what I am saying, clearly you love you horses very very dearly, and I am sure no one would ever want to debate that in any way. I believe you also said that you appreciate that some of the training methods mentioned are a means to end, and you accept that, which is a very logical and reasonable thing to say. My only issue (and it may not apply to you at all as I cannot pretend to ever understand your particular situation) is people who do NOT agree with these training methods carrying on and purchasing horses they know were raised in this way. It is not bad horsemanship, and it does not mean that one does not love and care for their horses. I am simply trying to say that the next time someone goes to buy a criollo who does NOT agree with the training methods, it would be more logical to buy from someone who does not use the training methods they oppose.

My only qualm applies directly to where the horse was purchased, beyond that I hope that every criollo owner and lover enjoys their horse. I just want people to think the next time they go to buy one.

I am very sorry if I offended anyone, my post was possibly to strongly worded.

I am sure that most Criollo owners on here didn't know about the breaking techniques, or the fact that many were rescued from slaughter when they bought them. I didn't, but I do now and am not happy about it. I would have liked to have known that before I bought.

While it is noble they were rescued, the worst of their journey was pretty much over, a bullet at least provides pretty permanent relief. Buying these horses supports the trade and transport, which I doubt is any better than any other animals destined for meat.

In my opinion, Criollo's do not stand out when it comes to temprament and as for bonding, this is possible with just about every horse given the right kind of input.

The bond I have with my Criollo is no different than I had with an Arab or a couple of cobs, I trust him as I trusted them and it took a shed load of work to achieve that with all of them.

Keep this discussion in perspective, cruel breaking practices go on all over the world including here, and the way some are looked after isn't much better. Ignorance is as damaging as cruelty.

I know of 3 Criollo's personally and all have leg problems. Not something you would expect for the money paid out for them. In the US where I am soon moving to I will be able to get several top quality horses, without the breaking history for the same price I paid for mine.

But I am pleased I have him, he is a great horse and he will remain with me for life. But I am angry and dissapointed that he and all the others went through so much pain and hardship.

Because of the knowledge I have acquired about these horses, I would not buy another, nor encourage anyone else to. But that is just my opinion for what its worth.

Sorry Black Topaz the raised eybrow smiley didn't work. No offence taken by your post whatsoever - no fears ther.

Sarcasm is great in type hey lol :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Worked that time lol !!!!!!

OMFG

Are we all adults on this board or have I misunderstood something here ???!!!???

Obviously I am a brainwashed idiot, cruel horse owner because I own 2 Criollos - well so be it.

If I need to condone their methods then so be it. I know that I have a horse that I can trust totally, no ifs or buts.

I have worked with several different horses of both UK origins and that of horses from abroad too, and find many methods and practices used by so called "horselovers" in this country far more abusive, inc some people on this forum.

CRIOLLO

I have been watching this thread for sometime biting my tongue but after these comments had to say something. I have para-phrased a little but please re-read the full text if you need to..

So what you are saying is that as long as you get the result you want anything goes? I expect the RSPCA will have something to say on that matter.

As for seeing worse practises here in the UK please name one better still report it to the RSPCA . If you dont have the bottle I will do it for you if you give me the details. I have seen the odd eejit a bit crop happy but as for beating a horse continuously until it submits I cant say i have ever seen anything like it and if i did would be tempted to beat the ............. doing it and or report them. Did you do either when you witnessed this abuse, no you didnt because you think anything goes dont you as long as the end result is a quiet bomb proof horse.

Oh come on, I don't think anyone was trying to slate the Criollo. I for one, certainly aren't trying to and have no reason to! But, in my mind, the way that many are trained is disgusting, regardless of any breed or culture.

I have been watching this thread for sometime biting my tongue but after these comments had to say something. I have para-phrased a little but please re-read the full text if you need to..

So what you are saying is that as long as you get the result you want anything goes? I expect the RSPCA will have something to say on that matter.

As for seeing worse practises here in the UK please name one better still report it to the RSPCA . If you dont have the bottle I will do it for you if you give me the details. I have seen the odd eejit a bit crop happy but as for beating a horse continuously until it submits I cant say i have ever seen anything like it and if i did would be tempted to beat the ............. doing it and or report them. Did you do either when you witnessed this abuse, no you didnt because you think anything goes dont you as long as the end result is a quiet bomb proof horse.

When i said i don't care how my horse was broken is for i don't know how and never will. Theres no point in me sitting around trying to find out what happened to him when i could spend my time making his life happy. My horse is far from bombproof but he is happy and generally showing no sigh of traumer.

Also i work for happa so i see this stuff in the reports of seizures. I've cared for a horse thats been so badly beaten it is terrified of humans altogether even though where only trying to help it. I've helped rehome a race horse that would of been p.t.s if happa didn't take it.

i've only skimmed posts, but why do people think that only criollos are sane and that its thanks to how they are broken in?

my mare wasnt broken in like this and shes a "firey welsh D" and i could ride her out on hacks alone when she was newly broken when i was only a 9 yr old girl. i could down the busiest roads and past whatever i wanted and still can.

she wasnt broken in harshly, yes she had rules and was told when she was wrong but she wasnt treat cruelly (blindfolded, hobbled and beaten up- charming)

newrider.com