How are your oldies looking going into Autumn?

Wow didn't realise he was 36. Aw - hope the sweet itch goes back down, must be horrid for them. Nice to see you on here again btw. :)
Yes he definitely is a wee golden oldie .
Thanks I do come on and have a quick read at what you are all getting up to but I just don't get much time to join in on the posts at the moment :( hopefully that will change :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Rummy is 36 and not looking too bad. I got his bloods and Marley's taken in August to check their cushings and Marley's levels are great but wee Rummy's were in the 300's!! so vet advised to increase his prascend from half a tablet to a whole one, roll on a couple of weeks later and his sweet itch was awful all around the top of his neck and side of his face. So he is back down to half a tablet and we will put him on a whole tablet only during the winter months. Apart from that he is doing well.
Have you tried stinky stuff? I’ve not personally but am looking after 5 for someone locally next week and went for a visit to see what’s what. One of them suffered sweetitch and they swore by some kind of weekly sulphur wash followed by stinky stuff.

Reactions: joellie
Aimee donkey is 30 and has had a good summer, she is well covered, still going out in the field and up to the top of the hill. she is at times tired, a bit frail, but still wanting to go out so hopefully we can get her through another winter.

Buddy is doing well, I weight taped him today and he has put on weight.....so cut down a bit on his dinners. He looks very well, can just see a rib, and he is hacking out for an hour at walk.

Reactions: joellie
Have you tried stinky stuff? I’ve not personally but am looking after 5 for someone locally next week and went for a visit to see what’s what. One of them suffered sweetitch and they swore by some kind of weekly sulphur wash followed by stinky stuff.
Thanks Toz, Yes I've tried stinky stuff before and it is good but nothing was working this time, we(me and the vets) think it was the increase in his prascend dosage that caused his sweetitch to get so unbearable. I funny enough had boehringer vets ring me today to discuss and make notes on it. They said they are always interested in any affects that maybe associated with prascend as they are always looking out for possible side effects etc I thought it was very good that they are listening to owners of cushing horses/ponies about dosage and affects etc She agreed with my vets about reducing his dosage and only upping it in the months that sweetitch isn't a problem.
He is a lot better now. He finished his course of antibiotics and I've been slapping on the botanic anti itch cream, he smells lovely :D

Reactions: Toz
My oldie 24 is determined to send me greyer than I already am by cantering down her field. It’s only 1 in 3!

newrider.com