How are your oldies looking going into Autumn?

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
Mine as per at this time of year is looking fab. Round (bit too round) and really quite shiny. Last winter for the first time ever he dropped off and looked a bit rubbish so I’m thinking of looking after him a bit better this year. Probably starting to rug lightly overnight soon and maybe give a bit of hard feed. I’m debating what, may get proper veteran feed. May just go linseed/high fibre and see how we go. He won’t eat large quantities.
So out of nosiness really, How are yours looking? When do you start making routine changes?

Our oldest at thirty is looking fab, not too lean nor too round thankfully. She seems to self regulate, not greedy at all. I give her plenty of Allen and Paige Fast Fibre, she loves it. Second down the line, well, lets just say zepelin comes to mind :eek: she inhales calories. I hope for a cold winter but it never arrives...............................
Youngest spring chicken at 14 well, he's porky and I am having to ration him:rolleyes:

Reactions: Huggy and Toz
Mattie is 19, but he's old for that age - he raced in France for about 5 years and it takes it out of a horse. This year, though, he's looking brilliant. I think Ziggy being ill for so long really took it out of him: I'm not sure how, but he was depressed. And having Charlie with him instead, all young and feisty, has given him a real new lease of life. He's still very stiff but so much better and happier in himself.

• Love
Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Rummy is 36 and not looking too bad. I got his bloods and Marley's taken in August to check their cushings and Marley's levels are great but wee Rummy's were in the 300's!! so vet advised to increase his prascend from half a tablet to a whole one, roll on a couple of weeks later and his sweet itch was awful all around the top of his neck and side of his face. So he is back down to half a tablet and we will put him on a whole tablet only during the winter months. Apart from that he is doing well.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Rummy is 36 and not looking too bad. I got his bloods and Marley's taken in August to check their cushings and Marley's levels are great but wee Rummy's were in the 300's!! so vet advised to increase his prascend from half a tablet to a whole one, roll on a couple of weeks later and his sweet itch was awful all around the top of his neck and side of his face. So he is back down to half a tablet and we will put him on a whole tablet only during the winter months. Apart from that he is doing well.

Wow didn't realise he was 36. Aw - hope the sweet itch goes back down, must be horrid for them. Nice to see you on here again btw. :)

Reactions: joellie
My old boy at 27 isn't looking too bad, he's lot a lot of muscle on his back but he's still got weight on him. I swapped them over to haylage from hay last year and he looked much better on it, so I will be getting in haylage again or them this year.
Susie was looking great, not like she was 27 at all, she was cantering around with the younger girls and she was fat and happy, it was a real shock when she passed away :(

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
Dolly is only 19 - so not exactly ancient but has been retired very recently. The after effect of Lymes disease have taken their toll on her and although she doesn't look too bad at all, her spark has gone and she is very flat despite all sorts of blood tonics, antiflimflams and herbal stuff I think she is ageing very rapidly now, vet due out in a couple of weeks for their teeth so will get her looked over in case there is anything more we can do to perk her up a bit. she is still reasonably happy though, and much more so since Miller came to stay, so lets hope nothing changes in the next couple of years. - love that old lady :)

My old boy at 27 isn't looking too bad, he's lot a lot of muscle on his back but he's still got weight on him. I swapped them over to haylage from hay last year and he looked much better on it, so I will be getting in haylage again or them this year.
Susie was looking great, not like she was 27 at all, she was cantering around with the younger girls and she was fat and happy, it was a real shock when she passed away :(

Oh heck that must have been very upsetting and shocking :(

Reactions: No_Angel
Dolly is only 19 - so not exactly ancient but has been retired very recently. The after effect of Lymes disease have taken their toll on her and although she doesn't look too bad at all, her spark has gone and she is very flat despite all sorts of blood tonics, antiflimflams and herbal stuff I think she is ageing very rapidly now, vet due out in a couple of weeks for their teeth so will get her looked over in case there is anything more we can do to perk her up a bit. she is still reasonably happy though, and much more so since Miller came to stay, so lets hope nothing changes in the next couple of years. - love that old lady :)

They are never quite the same after Lymes. Storm had it a number of years ago and things seemed to change with her (aside from her arthritic hocks). Dolly and Miller - they sound a great duo:D

Reactions: Cortrasna
They are never quite the same after Lymes. Storm had it a number of years ago and things seemed to change with her (aside from her arthritic hocks). Dolly and Miller - they sound a great duo:D

it is like he was always here Trewsers, the day I turned them out together was the biggest horse related non event I have ever seen lol! Derby and Joan - but he is very respectful of the old girl...if she so much as flicks an ear at him he quietly steps back and waits for her permission to do whatever innocuous thing it was he wanted to do lol! Wish I could train my man like that ! :rolleyes::D

My lad at 23 is looking great. Carrying a bit too much weight but that's a lack of work due to no rider and me not being able to have time to drive. I'm not bothered by the extra weight as hes on the steep banks and I know that when my older animals loose it they never regain there body on the type of grazing we have. But the draw back of carrying extra weight possibly has a negative on the body.
Unfortunately with the limited work it means that he is seizing up. He lost spark a few years ago I think with the back pain but the youngster hasn't given a new lease of life.
Feed wise there still on reduced rations as I have the grazing but that will go down in a couple of weeks once I have the cows home.

My 'Oldy' is looking great right now, feeling it too! But she is only 22, I have a feeling the colder weather will mean having to give her bute again, but we'll see what she's like as winter goes on. I have noticed this coat change she has a lot more white hairs though, bit like me :rolleyes:

Funnily reading these replies made me think. My “old” horse is barney who’s 20/21 Torro pony is 26! I don’t consider him old. Barns has had a tough life

Storm is old for her age. At 23 she is retired and has been for a while now. Her joints are jiggered and have been for a few years, poor lass must have either been unlucky through just nature or perhaps she led a hard life when she was very young. Shame, because she's so full of beans and life, yet hasn't worn too well at all. Chloe is a living miracle lol apart from the Cushings - in fine fettle.

Reactions: Toz and Huggy
Storm is old for her age. At 23 she is retired and has been for a while now. Her joints are jiggered and have been for a few years, poor lass must have either been unlucky through just nature or perhaps she led a hard life when she was very young. Shame, because she's so full of beans and life, yet hasn't worn too well at all. Chloe is a living miracle lol apart from the Cushings - in fine fettle.
This is Mattie. Before Ziggy entered his final phase of laminitis, you would have thought that he was 10 years younger than Mattie - they were the same age, but Mattie has always seemed as if he had a harder life.

Reactions: Trewsers
Cushings and sweetitch are evil! Poor old Ramsey had both, and I felt so sorry for him. 36 is a brilliant age - you're obviously doing it right!

Reactions: joellie
For the first time the YO's horse is looking old - very sudden, as he's 29, but never looked it. He's lost a lot of weight, and hasn't really gained any this summer. It's all the more obvious, next to fatso Hogan. He actually looks a lot worse than Ramsey did this time last year, which doesn't bode well.

newrider.com