How common is this type of stirrup?

Scarlett 001

Sep 16, 2003
I dropped by Spruce Meadows today to watch a showjumping derby. Maybe this type of stirrup I saw today is used more than I have noticed, but I've actually not noticed it before. Richard Spooner used a type of stirrup that was kind of open on one side. It was like a bar that he was putting his foot on (with a slight edge about an inch high to help keep his foot in), but basically it was open. I guess it would be safe as you would not be dragged by a horse this way? Is that their main purpose?

Something like this, only I think he had the open part to the outside (opposite of the picture for this web site):
http://www.safestyle.nl/index.asp?taal_id=2

Well I don't know how common it is, but all the jumping lesson stables around calgary are trying to implement them into their programs

I guess this is for safety reasons they are looking into these stirrups. I wonder if they feel any different than a regular stirrup.

During the presentation ceremony while the riders were waiting around for ribbons, someone on the field was asking Richard Spooner about them, as he was pointing at them and obviously explaining something. So they do tend to catch people's eyes.

I have seen something similiar, but on the side that's open... they have like an whitish elastic band...

I noticed somebody using them at the British Open Showjumping in April - can't remember which rider but apart from that I have never seen them in use or for sale.

I did wonder how secure they felt.

I noticed somebody using them at the British Open Showjumping in April - can't remember which rider but apart from that I have never seen them in use or for sale.

I did wonder how secure they felt.

I saw some of the riders at the british open using those stirrups too, the rider (cant remember who it was)

Not sure I want to try them tho, I like my elastic band thingy on the side of mine!

i ahve seen them but i don't think many people that i ahve been around that ride english use them. personally i don't like them for no apparent reason but when i ride english i prefer solid no elastic makes me feel more comfortable. but its a good idea

I saw them at the RDS last year, a few riders had them, I remember definitely some of the american riders had them... I'm sure I have pictures on my laptop somewhere.

I guess they are just a step up from the ones with the bands - I find it amazing how I never lose stirrups now, ever - for something that so many people have difficulty with in the beginning, most people get to a point where its never an issue!! (until in extreme cases where a fall is in store, and then you don't particularly want your stirrups!)

I guess this is for safety reasons they are looking into these stirrups. I wonder if they feel any different than a regular stirrup.

During the presentation ceremony while the riders were waiting around for ribbons, someone on the field was asking Richard Spooner about them, as he was pointing at them and obviously explaining something. So they do tend to catch people's eyes.

I think that's it entirely - they look to be a much classier version of the ones with the elasticized versions that can be seen on little kids saddles. It's actually a good idea, particularly in jumping, as its more then possible for you to lose the weight in yor stirrups and have your foot slide though completely.

yeah I always ride in safety stirrups (with the elastic band on the side) even tho everyone else rides in the Sprenger posh ones!!

Wouldnt mind trying the Mountain Horse safety ones tho, they are like the usual safety kind but with a rubber tube that slots in at the top, so if you dislodge it, it stays attached to the bottom and wont ping off!

I know the sprenger ones twist in all directions but I just feel so much safer with the elastic band and have, on more than one occassion, come back from a ride missing one and not even noticing, so I dare say I could ride in those with the open sides!! :D

newrider.com