How did you find your four legged friend?

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
How did you find your horse/pony was it a private ad, a dealer, word of mouth, horse sales, home bred or a total accidental find? My boy was up for sale for about a year before I bought him, I kept looking at his pic on the ad ( he was sold from field as project) and eventually emailed about him. So pleased I did as he was my little diamond in the rough. Your stories please................. x

Put a wanted advert up, his owner at the time offered a trial from her yard for a month and I knew she was genuine. Tried him the once and my heart melted. He was lovely - still is <3

I spent ages and ages and ages trawling though adverts (Horsequest, horsedeals, BE, Facebook, tack shops) and then bought Ben who should have suited me but didn't. I then spent ages on the FB dodgy dealers group looking for a dealer who was recommended. Having found the dealer I went and talked to them at great length and rode a horse we knew probably wasn't suitable so they could assess my ability. I had another visit to try a horse which didn't feel right for me. They then found Harvey and I got to try him before he was advertised. He was nearly 50% over budget but I dug deep into my savings and now he is mine.
In case anyone is interested the dealer was Cattybrook Horses near Bristol and I would thoroughly recommend them.

Bought from a dealer because I fell head over heels and he was cheap. Not a good choice in some ways - perfect in others (see "ideal steed" thread recently!).

Reactions: tikkitti
Searching adverts! We have something called trademe, which is kinda like ebay i guess? And I found both my horses that way, although it took me over 6 months to find each, I really wanted something I clicked with.

Reactions: tikkitti
We've bought through dealers, word of mouth, sales, online ads, even one chance star find that was driving past a farm with a sign outside that read "ponies for sale". One of the best, my little Gelfy, was simply gifted to us.

Reactions: misty
Friend of a friend. I wasn't particularly looking yet but had been speaking to a friend about wanting to buy in a year or so. She sent me the details of one that her friend had and I really liked the look of her so went for it. Best thing I could have done as she's fab.

When my partner retired from business.... I looked for Eva bought her unseen from her adds and a few long chats to her then owner ( never regretted it) Lunan also came from the same home 6 months later....

But Melody was gifted to me through advice of a couple of ladies on the Highland pony group.... I had her on loan for 6 months and she was gifted to me on christtmas day ( I opened and envelope that I thought contained all my grandchildrens christmas photos and instead was a note from Melody's then owner and all Melody's ownership paper work :)) I have been lucky to have two fabulous ponies... in my life and the herd of ponies are also great even though I dont personally ride them.

I saw an unbroken 3 year old coloured cob on preloved but there was a little mare standing at the back of the field away from the rest of the herd...yeah i took her home!! Told she was 8 she was actually approx 15...now approx 17 and the sweetest little mare although she was full of worms and skinny as they left her in the field for 3 years which had no grass.

I've got no idea what I'm looking at, so I asked at my yard for help. They put out feelers, and they found him (pending a vet check).

newrider.com