How did you introduce your better half to your parents?

After we were engaged - they were v old fashioned and were going to pay for the wedding after all.

I've started seeing someone new recently. He already knows my parents & they love him so it's been ok from that point of view although its a bit strange for him coming to see me at their house. (Can't wait to get into my own place again in a few weeks!)

I've not properly met his folks yet but I think I'm going to go to their house on Sunday evening. I'm really nervous about it because he's quite a lot younger than I am & I don't want his family to have any problems with our relationship!

Anyways...I'd do as Calluna suggested & try to get your mum on side a bit before broaching the subject. I'm no help on the Christmas front though,am in the same discussions myself at the moment!

What about having your folks round to yours? Then you have a bit more control of the situation.

To be honest it has never been a big deal for me, I have just brought them round for a drink or something, nothing formal like a sit down meal. Luckily I am now back with my ex from when I was younger, so I don't have to worry about any introductions!

As for Xmas, my brother has just started doing alternate years with his girlfriend (they have been together about 6 years, and only just started doing this when they bought a house together!), they were with his girlfriends family last year, so will be with us this year. No big deal....and this is coming from the parents who drove me 3 hours up to Inverness on Xmas eve night and back again on boxing day morning just so I would be with them for Xmas!

Your folks might be concerned since you have not long started seeing him, but your an adult....it's your choice where you spend Xmas at the end of the day. Alternatively, if it's such an issue with your folks, why dont you go to them this year and your OH's family next year?

I think some people look at age as a problem but I don't think it is. The guy i'm seeing is younger than me too by about 2.5 years- i've just turned 28 and he's nearly 26. I don't think it makes much difference- some of the guys I've dated in their 30s where more immature than him lol. I just brought my fella back (we went out for the day near to where they live and called in on their way back). Although I'm never bothered about what they think of them.....it's my life :) As for Christmas, I've tended to spend it at my parents and the boyfriend spend it at theirs. Then my boyfriend come up to mine on Boxing Day. It's never a big thing to me spending Christmas Day with a boyfriend and it means a lot to my parents for me to be there as I have a small family so I just separate for the day!! Although I have started seeing someone new so it would depend what he wanted too (I've not asked). I sometimes work Christmas though too :(

I met his parents really informally after about four weeks of being together at a local open air concert at the rugby club where he plays. A small marquee with about 20 other people in the immediate area and about 3000 other people who were watching the concert. Very informal and relaxed - his parents both gave me a massive hug saying "We've heard so much about you" - his mum and I instantly clicked.

Cos my parents live 200 miles away it took almost three months for him to meet them - they came up to surprise me so we went to the pub :D

newrider.com