How do you all cope with being so busy?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
My brother always tells me it's my choice to live like this, because I sometimes complain about how tired I am at the end of the day. He's quite right obviously.

I'm sure lots of you live just as busy and busier lives, how do you manage to keep enjoying everything?

I've just had to stop sharing the horse at my yard because I didn't have the time to spare to look after and ride him. That means currently I don't get to ride at all which is making me unhappy. In fact recently I've just not been feeling my usual cheerful self and I think it's because I've got so much going on.

But I like to be busy so I'm not really sure if there is a solution except to stop complaining and just make the most of things. Sorry to whinge, it's probably just lack of riding no doubt.

I don't know ale. I work full time 8-5 with the two boys. I'm lucky I get to train at lunch times but I ride every night.

I walk my dogs before I go to the yard before work so up at 6 and I get home just after 8 mon to Fri. My job is very busy and non stop and yes I get tired.

Reactions: MrA
I'm just about to quit my 2nd job for just that reason, I'm exhausted most of the time, its only 1 night a week but I work my normal day 7-4 then 7pm until midnight -1am and I'm back up at 5am the next day to do the horses before work. I find that 1 night means I effectively loose 4 nights, Tuesday getting my meals ready and all the horses stuff prepped for weds, then Thursday catching up on poo picking etc that I don't have time for on weds and Friday I'm so exhausted I just crash after doing bare minimum with the horses. I've done it for 18 months but I want my life back and want to start a home study course so I'm giving it up, I will look to pick up the same extra 5/6 hours work (it covers my hay bill plus a bit) but at more reasonable times of day so I don't loose other nights too.

Reactions: lauren123 and MrA
To be honest my heart did sink at the fancy dress for Ale - when you were already busy with the bike ride. One has to ration oneself in the things one does in life.
You already have a physically demanding and draining routine.
Lots of us probably have been in a situation when we have or seem to have no time to ride. I used to ride three times a week - just about managed life, but ride four times and household organisation fell apart.
It isnt just the fullness of your days that counts - it is the type of activity. I once read an article on the length of time various kinds of writer are willing to wait for a reward and recognition for their efforts. If you buy a very young horse you are entering a long long process before it will compete and bring you rosettes. I know an academic who spent 10 years writing his prizewinning study - A novellist may take two or three years. But a journalist or writer of short articles gets a prompt and regular reward as they see their column appear in the papers each day. If you compete regularly at local shows there is frequent opportunity to gain recognition. If you hack day after day there is no reward in the terms of regular human feed back. But you build a long term relationship with the landscape and the horse that may give another kind of reward.
I have ridden twice a week for years. Last week I was too busy with friends to ride twice but it no longer frets me. One has to make time for family and friends as well as work and riding.
I am sorry you gave up your share - tho a share for me was the most time consuming as I had to ride her twice a week plus if I wanted a faster hack with lots of canter,I had to find time to ride Maisie too.
But if you have the chance to share and can sort the other things out - leaving out somethings you would like to do so you can ride once a week, that would surely be best.

I don't want to give anything up because I love always having things to do, but now I find myself doing all this work with ale and not riding at all which is a bit depressing. It's hard to get past that. And I think that has led to me losing a bit of my get up and go.

I have one day off one week and 2 days off the next week. It's my day off today and although I have had a little lie in (till half 6) I'm now off to help a lady down my yard with her business for a few hours, then off to the yard to see ale and take him for a walk :D then popping to work quickly to return something for my mum. And I'm cat sitting for a few days so then popping over to their house to feed and check on them. I'm also pet sitting a hamster and rabbit at home so although they don't take up that much time it's something else to do when I get home later. And I will then have to go to my boyfriends house because I haven't seen much of him lately as his car is broken so I have to cycle over. And I wanted to go for a run today because my half marathon is in 7.5 weeks. So that's about 30 miles of cycling today. I guess the problem is I should start saying no to people but the money comes in helpful and I like looking after the animals anyway.

I think it all boils down to just not being that happy at the moment, as I say I love being busy and having things on the go normally.

i used to cope better when i was in my twenties... i was teaching full time but come the holidays I remember i would literally spend the first week asleep to catch up with myself!!

rapidly approaching 40, as Skib says I have to ration myself. Being a Mum now I never get that down time where I can lie in until Im not tired anymore and I dont get to catch up with myself. Having not listened to the warning signs back in June when I had a bug and kept pushing through - 8 weeks on Im still really recovering and made myself pretty poorly. I dont have time to ride both my girls, Im resigned to that and it looks like my days of travelling all over the country competing with my dogs are over too, Ive not even made it to one show this year.

I don't know ale. I work full time 8-5 with the two boys. I'm lucky I get to train at lunch times but I ride every night.

I walk my dogs before I go to the yard before work so up at 6 and I get home just after 8 mon to Fri. My job is very busy and non stop and yes I get tired.
You always come across as very organised and disciplined, perhaps I need to organise myself better and that would help. It's admirable how much you do!

Reactions: lauren123
I want to be the sort of person who does everything and enjoys it all, but currently I just feel like I'm on auto pilot some of the time, esp at work that is what is worrying me. I like my job but just can't switch on currently.

I'm just about to quit my 2nd job for just that reason, I'm exhausted most of the time, its only 1 night a week but I work my normal day 7-4 then 7pm until midnight -1am and I'm back up at 5am the next day to do the horses before work. I find that 1 night means I effectively loose 4 nights, Tuesday getting my meals ready and all the horses stuff prepped for weds, then Thursday catching up on poo picking etc that I don't have time for on weds and Friday I'm so exhausted I just crash after doing bare minimum with the horses. I've done it for 18 months but I want my life back and want to start a home study course so I'm giving it up, I will look to pick up the same extra 5/6 hours work (it covers my hay bill plus a bit) but at more reasonable times of day so I don't loose other nights too.

Sounds like you are making the right decision, that's a crazy schedule. Maybe I should think about giving up my Sunday job at the yard, but I love working with the horses. But it is tough.

Just be careful that you don't burn yourself out, Ale xxx

I don't think I will but thanks, physically I feel fine, better than that actually as since my tonsillectomy I've been going from strength to strength. Just lost a bit of my mojo but I'll get it back I'm sure. Maybe just need to pay for a couple of hacks in bushy park again as they left me feeling buzzing.

I am always exhausted. I am on the go from first thing in the morning till last thing at life with my kids, extended family, work and horse. My reward is always riding, it makes me feel 100 times better. I can be completely exhausted and the second I get on my horse I feel so alive again. If I couldn't ride, I would find it so much harder as I wouldn't have that 'reward' to look forward to. I think you need to find a way to get back in the saddle, it's the best therapy ever.

Reactions: Trewsers
I am always exhausted. I am on the go from first thing in the morning till last thing at life with my kids, extended family, work and horse. My reward is always riding, it makes me feel 100 times better. I can be completely exhausted and the second I get on my horse I feel so alive again. If I couldn't ride, I would find it so much harder as I wouldn't have that 'reward' to look forward to. I think you need to find a way to get back in the saddle, it's the best therapy ever.

Yes I think you are right. I would quite like to loan or buy another but not until we move or settle somewhere. Sharing isn't quite the same as having to do it all the owners way isn't quite the same sadly.

I love being busy but I also love being with my horses and that comes top of my list. I have no other commitments like kids or a job where I am answerable to anyone which is brilliant for me. I do have other hobbies but for me it's all about prioritising. If that means that my house is not perfect then so be it! I do try and get the washing and ironing organised but it doesn't always pan out......I think you should always ask yourself what makes you happy? And do that - providing your work (which presumably pays for your favourite hobby) does not suffer. Oh, and eat plenty of good things too! Never under estimate how much good food can help.

In theory I should have plenty of spare time to do what makes me happy. I think I've just been taking on so much extra work lately that I haven't had the time.

I've finished most of the things I had to do today so I'm going to enjoy doing some poo picking with ale, then have a nice chilled cycle over to the house I'm cat sitting and some nice food once there.

I'm ment to be rushing home to go round my boyfriends for dinner but that involves rushing, having a quick shower and then cycling to his and cycling home again later. I would much rather just go home at my own pace, have a nice bath and read a book, it's been so long since I've done that.

I have to be busy. This right now is killing me so it's just as well the meds are making me sleep a lot. If I'm not busy physically then I'm too busy mentally and then I don't sleep.I work two jobs a full time and a casual, keep my flat, play badminton semi-professionally, train four times a week for this, look after Kia and find time to have family and friends time. It is exhausting but I find if I'm not doing it ( like now) I can't settle. The pills are making me sleep at present.

How are you with downtime? What do you do with it when you have it? Do you relax or do you just find something else to do? I like to take little holidays like long weekends but get some training in like running or going swimming with friends and family, it's a break for me, I'm busy but still relaxing as its away from the norm.

I do have frequent losses of mojo but it always pops back up. Maybe organise a weekend away somewhere just for a chill and restart when you come back :)

I leave home most days at 5.45 am go to gym then work 7.30 to 4.30 home again for 5 and straight out to horse, muck out poo pick and ride. very rarely get in before 8pm then its a bit of house work and sit down at 9 for an hour or so tv before bed at 10.30.
weekends is catching up with housework/ yard work and visiting family.
I find that if I do have any time to myself, I have to "do" something otherwise I just fall asleep....once I stop, I sleep!!

We are all a busy bunch of people! It's interesting to hear how everyone else manages.

I've had a nice afternoon actually, just having a 5 min sit down before the 9 mile cycle home! At least it isn't raining.

I'm not the best at doing nothing but it's nice occasionally to sit and watch an episode of a TV show or do some reading, but I couldn't do that all day!

newrider.com