How do you get a cobs feathers thick and white

C

chapman2006

I own a 8 year old cob and he has reasonably thick feathers, bt they are not as thick as they should be does anyone know how to get them thick and also how do you get them gleaming white. Also i want to be able 2 run my fingers through them without hitting any tangles and nots how can i get them straight so i can run my fingers through them (if you know what i mean lol)

To keep them thick, try not to brush/wash/fiddle with them too much. It breaks and pulls the hair, just wash them before a show. Putting pig oil on them in between will help keep the hair conditioned.

This may sound weird, but first, you need to cut them off. If they are thin and strangly, the only wasy to get them thick and healthy and white is to cut (or trim) them and let them grow out.
To get them white, don't they make a whitening shampoo. Then to detangle, you can use horse or human detangler products.

Cutting them off only works because there will be less chance of it getting tangled and pulled out by brushing and washing, the same can be achieved by not brushing and washing. Cutting it shorter doesn't make any extra hairs grow.

I mix a cheap human conditioner half and half with water, and use this in a spray bottle before brushing. It seems to reduce breakage.

pig oil, sawdust and chalk. thats how the chap at our old yard got his clydesdales feathers looking fab.

Yes, what is pig oil????! bacon fat???! Try some Canter mane and tail conditioner, a lady on our yard brushes that through her horses feathers.

Trewsers said:
Try some Canter mane and tail conditioner, a lady on our yard brushes that through her horses feathers.

I do that too! With my Avon paddle brush!!! :D

guy we knew used to get pig oil from the local agricultural merchants. its a bit of an iffy smell about it but he used to work it through the clydesdales feathers (along with some fine sawdust) then finish off with chalk. Go along to an agricultural show and watch the guys who show clydesdales do it :)

Pig oil is the oil they put on pigs when they show them, rather than oil made from pigs ;)

Aah... thank you. Saw it being used recently on TV - Jimmy's Farm, when he showed the pig.... :)

This may sound strange but I use Garnier fructose shampoo and conditiner on my fluffy white dog and my share mare, it is great! Cant wait until weather has warmed up enough to give it a try on Oscar's feathers! It makes manes and tails really nice too. make sure you do a patch test, as it obviously isnt formulated for animals though. I then finish with canter mane and tail conditioner and their show sheen. Lovely!

Taking the shoes off dramatically improves hair growth on the legs. Little cob in our feild has had her shoes off this winter (and not getting them put back on either :D) and her feather are SOOOOOOO much thicker than before. The blood supply to the legs in much much better without shoes, so the hair grows faster and thicker. And it's much better for their general health too, helping with arthritis etc etc

Glider said:
Pig oil is the oil they put on pigs when they show them, rather than oil made from pigs ;)

Thats ok then:D thought for a mo it was bacon fat or something:p Hmm, wonder if it would help my dry locks????!

newrider.com