How do you get your pet?

wow!! so many replies so quick!

The reason I said dont buy from pet shops is because where they come from.. those horrible massive rodent farms who breed the poor females constantly, if get handled it is usually aggressive, animals tend to get iller more so than breeders and basically if we buy from pet shops (petsathome etc) we are supporting that trade... its sad really but i would like pet shops to use local breeders who breed better quality ones..lol im rambling on now I shut up lol

Thanks for all you replies (kinad doing a survey thingy) :)

Ummm all of them :p My rats were from a pet shop. My puppy was bought from a family friend, so not really a breeder as such.
My cat was from a rescue centre, and my cats back home with my mum were rescues/strays but given to us from people!

All my pets come from proper breeders- my rats and my cats. Breeders are always better for small rodent pets, they are selected to be better pets and handled from a very early age. Has anyone seen the difference between the scraggy screaming hamsters in Pets at Home and a hamster from someone who breeds for show? Show hamsters are huge, beautiful healthy animals. There is no excuse for buying from a pet shop, its just laziness. Its not hard to find a good breeder and wait a bit for a really nice pets. Too many people these days just want things now whether its a toaster or a pet. Look at those terrible puppy supermarkets, one has just opened up in Leeds. The puppies aren't really much cheaper than from a proper breeder.
There are loads of rescues around too that are always full of pets.
It would be a good thing if pet shops were banned from selling live animals eventually.

rescue centres every time!
we have got a couple of chickens from breeders actually, but most of them are rescued battery hens :)

newrider.com