How do you guys tack up your sweet itchy horses?

Pencilbeckett

Mar 12, 2009
Staffordshire
Hi

Just wondered how you guys with itchy pones tack up/groom your horses. If i take Ozzy on the yard and in the vacinity of any wall he is bleeding in seconds. If he has his bridle on or saddle on that gets scratched too. I have been trying to tack/untack Ozzy in the field but the other day he took off with his bridle half on and broke it to bits :eek:. There is nowhere to tie him in the field or yard where he cant scratch and if i take him in the stable he is scratching so much he nearly squashes me.

I have now started putting my saddle over the stable door so i can hold Ozzy in a controlling headcollar grab my tack and put it on over the headcollar while i try to hold him in the middle of the yard.

I know it is not his fault and he is tormented but it is such a pain. By the way this is my first horse i have had him for 6 months and the owner promised he had never itched befor in his life :rolleyes:

But i lurrrve him :D

Jenni

i always tie mine with a haynet to distract them. dragging them off the wall or restraining them doesn't usually work ....if they want to scratch, they will. might be worth sticking his SI rug on earlier next year (end of feb?), it sounds as if you haven't quite caught him before the ghastly cycle started ths time round.

newrider.com