How do you introduce a new horse into a field...

K

Kate&TheHerd

...With 2 other horses already in there?

I know we all have our own ways, just wondered what peoples were

Ideally over a fence so they get used to each other for a few days and can touch but not harm each other. On both my recent yards, it's been a question of off you go, God help us, please don't hurt my horse!

Thats what we used to do, put them in together and let them sort themselves out!

Prefered method is to section off an area with electric fence and put new horse in there for few days. Sectioin must be arranged so that new horse can be near others if wants to.

If that not possible then I hack out new horse with one of the others then turn those two out together. Once all quiet, intorduce third

I think it's probably the most natural thing to do but if you see my threads re what to do with Beau when I first got him, I was scared stiff! As it was, a big 17hh+ showed him the electric fence and then they all hooned round for 10 minutes then head down, ooh, grass!

We recently got a mini shetland to go in with two big girls and i was terrifed she was gonna get squished or kicked in the head :rolleyes: especially as she was on loan - wouldnt wanted to have made that phone call

We taped off a large area with shelter, water etc and left her in there for around 4 days so they all got thoroughly bored of each other. Luckily enough as a mini we adjusted the fencing so she could get out under the tape but big girls couldnt get in so she had a safe haven if needed. We have an area taped off just to make them move a bit and save a little grass but the little monkey is always in there blowing raspberries at the others as she can get that grass and they cant!!!

When i got Rosie there was one already in the field. We just let her in. She grazed for a bit, didnt even notice the other horse but when she did she galloped up and stood next to her and grazed like they'd been there forever! Adding to one is different to added to two of course.

It is a worry adding them as you never know what will happen but I think regardless of what you do they will need to find their pecking order, I think we just practise damage limitation :rolleyes:

We just introduced the two chaps over the stable door, left in adjoining stables for a night so they could chat, then bunged them in the field together. They hooned around for 10 minutes, then ate grass, then started grooming and they've been joined at the hip ever since.

I prefer the paddock within the field approach - means they can all investigate each other in their own time and everyone has an escape if it turns nasty, with a fence between them. I only let them out of the paddock when they're happily chatting over the fence and I'm pretty certain there'll be no major kicking matches. When I put Dolly in with the foals, she was paddocked in their field for nearly a month before I got up the nerve. As it happened it was a total non-event and they're all chums now :)

It depends on the horse in question. When we first moved to my yard Jen went straight out with 2 others. They are all food orientated and didn't even look at each other.

Jasper met every one other a paddock fence and is stabled next to Jen. He was separate for a month before he went out with Jen, He may go out with Jen and a gelding come the summer but depends on how they are with each other

Im interested to know this too-good thread Kate :)
Im moving mine to a new yard tomorrow, will be interesting to see how its done at a different place.
Last yard horses where introduced over a fence & the yard before that they were grazed in a paddock next to the field they were going in for a couple of days :)

Depends on the horses involved. In the past I have had horses in adjoining paddocks.

When I introduced Joy and Littles obviously I knew Joy inside out and Littles a knew was a quiet unassuming chap and they went straight in together with no problems. When introduced there was plenty of grass and space no no issues with food etc.

Have to admit :eek: we have never done it the "correct" way. Our fields have always been very large, without corners, so newbies just get added in when they arrive. There's usually a bit of curious greeting, with lots of sniffing and squeals, then someone (usually mine) takes the newbie for a big run around - sometimes the others follow. Then everybody gets back to grazing, and the newbie is allowed fairly close to the herd but not into it for about two or three weeks. The last chap to arrive did all of the above, but managed to shortcircuit the full acceptance thing by literally making love to the lead mare :p He was flavour of the month after that! (not a rig or stallion, btw, just a gelding who could...).

I think if it's a settled herd with very low aggression, and they have a big area where nervous newbies can keep a safe distance, you're OK with this method. I would never use it with smaller fields or less established groups ;)

If you have 2 in the field already, get the one who is most dominant on a lead rope and take them for a walk together before turning out.

Have to admit :eek: we have never done it the "correct" way. Our fields have always been very large, without corners, so newbies just get added in when they arrive. There's usually a bit of curious greeting, with lots of sniffing and squeals, then someone (usually mine) takes the newbie for a big run around - sometimes the others follow. Then everybody gets back to grazing, and the newbie is allowed fairly close to the herd but not into it for about two or three weeks. The last chap to arrive did all of the above, but managed to shortcircuit the full acceptance thing by literally making love to the lead mare :p He was flavour of the month after that! (not a rig or stallion, btw, just a gelding who could...).

I think if it's a settled herd with very low aggression, and they have a big area where nervous newbies can keep a safe distance, you're OK with this method. I would never use it with smaller fields or less established groups ;)

ditto this, ive never actually seen anyone tape off sections for a new horse - theyve always just been put straight in with the herd

ditto this, ive never actually seen anyone tape off sections for a new horse - theyve always just been put straight in with the herd

Ah, but we do have a YO in common ;) Poor old Shannon just got led across the geldings' field, over the stream and in with a bunch of total strangers on YO's instructions. Mind you, she was so starved of company after years living alone that she was delighted :eek:

When I brought Jackson along, Lucyad's OH towed to the top gate, we opened it, led him in and let him go. Saw him again about 3 days later :D

Ah, but we do have a YO in common ;) Poor old Shannon just got led across the geldings' field, over the stream and in with a bunch of total strangers on YO's instructions. Mind you, she was so starved of company after years living alone that she was delighted :eek:

When I brought Jackson along, Lucyad's OH towed to the top gate, we opened it, led him in and let him go. Saw him again about 3 days later :D

well i didnt want to bring the geographical aspect into it;)

all the yards locally i can think of just fling the new guys out and let them get on with it...maybe its a shire thing...:D

Depends on the horses and the situation. But I have two quite dominants in mine so the few times I have had to do it, it has been sectioned off areas with fence until everything settles. There is still a bit of hoolying round but we have one who is dominant but also a good 'nanny' horse and looks after the underdogs.

My 2 are my cob who is in charge and 22 month old filly who likes to try and out herself incharge but never works! :rolleyes: We have always just put ours straight into a field together and let them sort themselves out, even when my old horse moved into a field of 10!!

Joey_olop let us know whow they introduce yours today ;)

Were lucky and have a paddock fenced off right next to the field the group is in, any newbie has to be turned out in this paddock for a week before joining the group and this works very well as they get to know each other over the fence and then when they go in the main field there is a bit of running around but no major scraps, which was a big relief to me as my horse is very soft and at the last place he was at he got bullied and ran straight through a wire fence!

Also Mares and gelding are kept seperate which again is good and there is no fighting at all on our yard:D

My heard is soon to be mixed (fingers crossed he comes!) so mares and one gelding...they have no choice but to get on! :rolleyes:

newrider.com