How do you know if a horse likes you?

Skye grooms with me and comes to gate to meet me :D . He calls out to me when he sees me in the yard and when I stand beside him he kind of 'hugs' with his neck and offers his face to be stroked and has a soft eye. He likes to touch/groom things and just stands with his muzzle resting on me. He's really become a little buddy to me, not just a horse to ride.

I dont think your horse can 'like you' as such, I think its a case of respect.

A horse will like you if you have a bag of carrots and let him do as he pleases.

A horse will respect you if you treat him as an equal - telling him wrong from right, so he can better understand but without being cruel..

But then again, horses do like people lol - I know that my mare is not interested in my mom. Never ever. She will happily work over jumps etc ... soon as mum shows up - ears go back, teeth glaring. She will go up to her , but keep her distance and will need some reasurance around lol lol!!!!!!

oh well its hard eh :p

my gelding throws a temper tantrum if i go out of his site for a second just to get something. He has to come everywhere with me lol! I was setting jumps up in the school, and i left him tyed up, and he was stood there whinny and runnign around in a semi circle - he had to come and help us set up the jumps lol!

When I first got Storm she didn't show any signs of affection for me at all. However, after 6 months of being together we're starting to bond and now she doesn't bite me anymore :p she also looks quite pleased to see me in a morning and I get a little whinney :D This makes getting up at a ridiculous hour all worth while..... Joe OH's gelding is quite a softy, he grooms me (licks my ears when he gets chance) :p He has a lot more respect for OH though - but does make the most humungus growling / rumbling whinney first thing in a morning when he sees him :D :D

Hi I'm not sure about my relationship with my horse. I agree it's more about respect as well. When I jump out my car my horse follows me but I think he wants his food :D sometimes when leading he'll nudge my back or side with his head I'm guessing this is lack of respect right? I think some horses will probably like you but just have a different way of showing it.

I always wanted a cuddly horse and that's what I got. I really think Sauvy likes me but she is sweet with everyone. She gently nuzzles me and comes over and puts her nose on me. She stands very still when I cuddle her all over and she neighs to me when I come out with her tack. When I take her in the arena and walk around to set up polls or cones, she follows me around with her nose in my back. It's so cute.
Abby can be that way--on some days. And on other days she acts as if she has no respect for me and can't wait to get away from me. She can be very moody, but never in the saddle, only on the ground.
At our barn we also have 3 geldings that are extremely sweet and affectionate. Our YO says, with a big smile, it's the good care they receive that makes them all so happy and sweet. :)

crazystevie said:
oh yeah! I get it! lol. I always thought it meant old husband or something like that lol

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, oh I'm sorry but that's GREAT. I'm gonna use that abbreviation with new meaning from now on. Excellent :D

I think my pony loves me as whenever i go down to his feild and call his name, or he spots me, he screems (his feeble atempt of whining, but just sounds like a mare) then he kindof turns on his back legs and gallops over :D Also when i groom him all he wants to do is lick me all over....sweet..but not so nice just after he has had dinner lol.

newrider.com