How do you teach a horse to ground tie?

Zani

Jan 15, 2008
North Yorkshire
Question in the title really! It's been mentioned in a few threads, how does one teach their horse to do it! Can see it would have it's uses! :)

I can't remember really - I kind of found out he could do it by accident! :D

Nowadays, I drop the line on the floor, tell him stay and praise him all the time he stands still - if he goes to walk away I tell 'Stay' and then praise him again.

Then, I make a big fuss of him when I go back.

A quick summary, taught to me by a carraige driver.

Stand right in front of neddy.
Look neddy in the eye.
Say stand/halt/wait or whatever.
Drop rope.

Whilst maintaining eye contact and nice square/big body position, step back a couple of feet.

If neddy moves push him back to position (gently-no stick or cursing required) and try again till he gets the hint.

Do this until you get the hang of being 9ft in front with him standing still. Then progress to start walking around him, both ways, in a 9ft or 20ft circle always maintaining that strong eye contact.

After a few times of practice you should now have a horse that ground ties.

You can also use this type of training to do some bomb proofing stuff such as clapping hands and even up to big brollies and bags. When you are within eye contact but not to far behind the wither start with a very light clap and work around your horse increasing the noise/movements and hopefully he'll remain standing. obviously lots of praise to be given when he's doing well and take it small steps at a time.

Remember to come back and practice occasionally while you are doing some groundwork/lunging.

It's a great trick to have and works wonders for stable manners, needing to just pop somewhere while neddy is tacked etc.

Good luck.

I think I've got off lightly with mine on this. First I have them used to being tied, and to coming off pressure on the rope. Then I take them on the yard and just drop the rope on the floor in front of their nose, with a bit of "energy" then get on grooming or whatever. If they move I stand on the end of the rope and carry on. If they move and take a step I stand on the rope and then just put them back where they were. Seems to work fine. Must admit, it's not something I practise very often though.

G'day all,
Cant add much as our story is much like Crystal Fires...
I did try to quantify this issue in a not-too-serious article titled the Tao of Horsemanship. Cant find the completed article but attached is a MSWord doc incomplete draft, but this draft covers the ground tying/tie up issue...well it sort of covers it...:D

Attachments

• The Tao of Horsemanship2.doc
    35.5 KB · Views: 8
I wasn't taught how to teach ground tie so came up with my own technique. Basically the same as I would teach my dog for obedience comps. As others have said key word - Stay then drop rope where horse can see it on the floor and correct (quietly but firmly) if they move. I took to teaching Pic 'stay' as it made general life easier and it was the first thing I taught Zeb as he had a liking for buggering off and didn't like to be tied.

I also did this by accident.

Horse used to live in a field at the top of a hill. The field gate opened onto the road, and across the road was the stone I used as a mounting block. I used to tack up just inside field gate, then open gate and lead horse out. Over time, when I led him out, he got used to standing waiting for me to fiddle about with the gate before heading over to the mounting block. Eventually (don't report me folks), I used to just open gate and invite horse out, and throw the lead rope over his back while doing the gate. It then occurred to me what he was doing, so I added a cue (say "stand", throw rope over back...) - and then started to try doing it at other times.

It's not the usual ground-tying - throwing the lead rope over his withers is the cue, rather than letting it dangle. I suppose I could go back and train "drop rope then say stand..." but what I've got works, so why bother? :) The key to it is, if you've got the behaviour somewhere and it's reliable, just add a cue immediately before it happens...

I've trained "stand loose for grooming and tacking up" as well, but used clicker training for that one.

My friend got casual like that with her two lovely geldings. She had a field in the middle of a small town and a gate that was fiddly. Then one day the boys decided they needed to get going for their tea, and set off up the high street together, their ropes over their backs. My friend didn't want to panic them, so, panicing mightily herself, she was trying to casually catch them up. They kept stopping, but just to wait for her, when she got close enough they'd turn and set off again. :D
She was rescued from her plight by helpful townsfolk who thought it unusual to see two horses taking themselves for a walk and got hold of them.

Ah yes, good point. In advance of training, remember to make sure that horse's motivation to stay with you is at least as high if not higher than his motivation to seek dinner elsewhere :D My horse may be none too bright, though, as he could have just headed over to the mounting block on the other side of the road to snack on the lovely long green grass, but I guess the effort of walking across the road outweighed the benefits to be had on the other side ;)

Love the Tao article, LodgeRopes :)

The funny thing is, she'd got a really good "come to me" with both of them, by just chasing their hindquarters even from a distance. I guess her faith deserted her with the High Street looming so close. :D:D

I'm not sure - I think I just ask them, and expect them to stand, and correct them if they start thinking about wandering off. if you're consistent, they figure out what's expected,

P3110020.jpg

Thanks for all the replies guys (KateW - lovely hoss!).

So basically we already have the "stand" when told, so all I have to do is add in some sort of cue and gradually take myself further away and "ta-**" a ground tied horse! :)

I hope it's that easy (if the reward is food it will be :eek:)

Thanks again, what a knowledgeable bunch you lot are!

newrider.com