How do you tell, from the horses' back, when its in an outline?

Ooh I'm interested in this too. I am not quick enough to reward Molly when she 'gives' (we're in early stages of contact and outline) as I can't tell when she is doing what she should or evading when ridden as she has numerous ways of doing this! In my lessons my RI tells me, but that's no good when it is just me :rolleyes: Although I can see it from the ground in other people :rolleyes:

Hello!

The neck of the horse is like the needle on the gauge that will tell you if a horse is working correctly.

This means that:

- If the horse is paddling out behind, the back will go hollow and the neck will come high.

- If the horse is stepping under with his hindquarters, the back will lift and the neck will drop.

It sounds like what you've got with your horse is going nice. For the time being, try not to get stuck in the 'poll must be the highest point' rut. That is true, but don't rush into it.

Before you ask for the horse to bring the poll higher, he must consistently be feeling downwards in his head and neck. The feel on the reins must feel consistently like the weight of the rein (and no more!) is being 'pulled' down. Not outwards, and not diagonally. Downwards. This is when the horse is on the bit.

Now, when he is working consistently like that, and you can feel his neck going downwards (try not to look to see his neck going down, try to feel it in the reins), now you can ask for him to lift the poll without evading the bit.

Maybe this helps, maybe it doesn't, but it definitely works if done properly!

its not all about the head carriage, sometimes not at all i beleive, its a LOT about working well from behind

I always rewarded my horse with my hand when i could feel them literally pushing me out of the saddle in trot rather than me rising to it - its a great feeling

newrider.com