How does Bute work?

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
is it like our pain killers in that it starts working after 20 minutes or so and then wears off? Or do you need to build it up gradually and get a supply into the body for it to start working?
Not sure if I explained that very well, it’s just something a vet said to me once which I didn’t query at the time, about having ‘to get Bute in her system’

As I understand it will start to work fairly quickly & a dose should last about 24 hours, though it will be having less effect by then. I think, but don't rely on it, that it takes 7 days for it not to show in a dope test though the benefit would be gone long before then. Like our anti-inflammatories it will be more effective if taken regularly because that way the inflammation stays damped down rather than an inflamed area getting more & more irritated.

Yep as it's an anti inflammatory (NASID) it starts to work quickly but it's effect is accumulative so regular use is more effective than a one off dose, similar perhaps to ibuprofen. It only reduces pain if inflammation is the cause of the pain. It's not actually a pain killer (in that it doesn't block pain receptors).

Reactions: CharliesAngel
Brill. Thanks for the quick replies. Star came in hopping lame on Thursday. I only had one Bute at the yard so split it between tea and breakfast. Gave her one Bute for tea on Friday night and she was a lot better this morning. Will keep her on one morning and night for the next few days, then start to reduce again.

newrider.com