How Does everyone give their Supplements/Vitamins?

Travis's Mum

May 5, 2005
My ponies are a little on the chubby side so don't have any hard feed and are out at grass 24/7 and manage well. How therefore would I give them a supplement? Would I sprinkle it onto a sliced apple along with their galic granules? And what supplements/Vitamins& minerals is everyone using

they sound happy and healthy just on the grass so do they need to be on the supplements as good grass should give them all the nutrients that they need?

We have to give joint supplement (powder) to a cob out 24/7 all year - so in summer we do just as you say, mix it in with succulents, and give it in a scoop (gone in 30 seconds).

i used to sprinkle it into an iced bun. You would think that a manufacturer would cotton on to this by now and make them in cube form or something just for the summer :rolleyes:

I use Feedmarks Benevit which is a broad base vitamin and mineral supplement as my girls as not on any hard feed. I have always out it in a handful of Dengie Good Do-er, with a chopped apple or carrot so they don't get too many calories. It also makes them feel happy because they have had a 'feed' without giving them much.

Equivite do a general vitamin supplement in biscuit form. Its called Pasture Plus and costs around the £15-17 mark for 30 or 60 days supply (depending on amount fed).

Basically you feed either 5 or ten of the biscuits a day (depending on size of horse) to give all the essential vits & mins. They look just like the herbal treats you can get.

S

I give various herbal supplements and probiotics in a handful of soaked alfalfa cubes - literally enough so that the supplements stick to them. A handful of feed really won't do any harm - it's probably only the same as a few mouthfuls of grass.

newrider.com