How does my afternoon compare

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I've been working far too much recently and not made enough time for the horses. Not feeling myself so I decided that this afternoon after work (only in until lunchtime as not a day I usually work) I'm going to have a fabulous horse based afternoon down the yard. Spending all morning planning my to do list in my head. What else would you do? Are you as lucky as me and not working this afternoon? What are you up to?

I am going to
Brush Ale until he gleams (or for as long as he will stand still!)
Scrub out and refill his water trough
Do an hours worth of ragworting
Small fencing repair which I've been meaning to do for ages
Poo pick!
Then get Brodie in
And brush him until he's moderately clean (he's grey)
And then I'm going to ride in the big field
And have fun doing so!
Move ales fencing so he gets new grass
And lots of cuddles and silly pics of both!!

Those kind of days are very satisfying - doing the jobs you've not had time for. I have grandchildren all summer, but today my granddaughter gets collected at 3, so I'm hoping to get Hogan out for a ride. I have to snatch what I can til September! Enjoy your afternoon!

If you are not feeling well , that seems an odd programme. Just take care. One is more likely to be hurt round horses when one is feeling under the weather.

It's so satisfying having a good horsey session like that :) I'm off today (have been all week) and I'm finally about caught up on chores, today it was just a groom, doing Jess' feet thoroughly and ride. I've just got to do hay nets then I'm off home to pack up ready to ride out tomorrow morning until Sunday :)

Reactions: Huggy
You forgot the picnic somewhere where you won't be disturbed. ;)

Every so often I do an itch what you want with the cob. I just stand with the brush in the field and she positions herself to get what she wants itching. After twenty minutes she strolls off.

I probably think of washing feathers and a groom. She's shedding like mad so the blades are out.

I could include a bareback ride somewhere.

As for not feeling yourself. Horses are exactly the right tonic for a pick me up. If I am under the weather I expect mine to be safe and sensible enough to come in a groom!! She's not related to Satan. In fact when I am ok is when she tests all the buttons!!
People can be hurt around horses at any time, they are big animals. Perhaps people over a certain age should stop riding/ handling them.

I took Hogan out after I dropped off my granddaughter, best thing I could have done. I'm knackered with all the extra childcare, but Hogan is my "me" time and I don't think of anything else while I'm out with him. Still knackered, but in a good way!

Reactions: newforest
I hope you're feeling relaxed and more like yourself after a lovely horsey afternoon Ale. Fresh air & horses - good medicine for many things, and if you've done enough to be slightly tired you'll get a good night's sleep too :)

I don't envy you a grey to groom, that's a disheartening task! I had one as a child and to this day I retain the attitude that tack areas being mud free is adequate! x

I hope you're feeling relaxed and more like yourself after a lovely horsey afternoon Ale. Fresh air & horses - good medicine for many things, and if you've done enough to be slightly tired you'll get a good night's sleep too :)

I don't envy you a grey to groom, that's a disheartening task! I had one as a child and to this day I retain the attitude that tack areas being mud free is adequate! x
Oh I'm with you all the way! I loved Ramsey dearly, but he always looked as though he's been smeared with s**t, no matter what I did! I'm enjoying the novelty of a horse that actually shines with minimum effort!

Well I woke up with a massive headache and feeling sick so my early morning ride went out the window. I went back to bed for the hour. Ended up taking a migraine tablet to clear it. Went to work late, so finished late and ended up going straight to running club rather than going home first. Haven't run for two weeks and now I'm sporting as pulled calf muscle. Contemplating going to do the animals and a quick lunge if theres time.
You definitely had a better day than me.

• Sad
Hmmm - did you have an age in mind?

I'm absolutely certain that wasn't aimed at you . You don't use your age as an excuse or to justify talking poop. I have a friend who is 80 and rides and handles her horse at least 3 times a week, I wouldn't dream of saying she was too old - or dare! But she knows what she's doing.

I agree age is irrelevant, but someone does seem to go on about it as though it makes them special :rolleyes:

I have also lost an inch off my belly. Not weight I doubt, but don't own scales lol.
The start of the bloated hard belly that I used to get.
It's purely too much sugar.
I have bought natures valley bars as they are honey. In case I crave something, must be better than chocolate and did I was eating liked it was going to run out!

I must sort my wardrobe, but I need to be in the right mood has ha.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com