How does this sound? Letter to past owner

ForestGump

Apr 9, 2008
Hampshire
I've finally decided to write to Forest past owners (the only ones I have the address of)
Heres what I was thinking of writing, please feel free to say what you think etc. :)

Dear (name inserted)

Last year a bought a horse - Forest (Beacon Vale). From someone in Coventry.
In with his passport was an old dentist record with your address on it and I'm trying to find out some history on Forest.
I have every intention of keep Forest but was interested in his life before I bought him.

I have found out his racing history but want to find out what happened after he was retrained?
I was wondering if you could tell me whether he competed at shows or what he was used for?
Do you know his history before you bought him?
If you would find it easier then I have included my email address and home address so you can email if you would find it easier?

Many Thanks
ME! (obviosuly will put name!)
Looking foward to hearing from you.

What do you all think?
Should I include anything else?

Dear (name inserted)

Last year a bought a horse - Forest (Beacon Vale). From someone in Coventry.
In with his passport was an old dentist record with your address on it and I'm trying to find out some history on Forest.
I have every intention of keep Forest but was interested in his life before I bought him.

I have found out his racing history but want to find out what happened after he was retrained?
I was wondering if you could tell me whether he competed at shows or what he was used for?
Do you know any of his medical history from when you bought him?
Do you know his history before you bought him?
If you would find it easier then I have included my email address and home address so you can email if you would find it easier?
I have also included a couple of pictures of Forest in his field.

Many Thanks
ME! (obviosuly will put name!)
Looking foward to hearing from you.

Do you think I need to add anything else?:confused:

The letter sounds great, but I would be a bit more chatty about him now and how wonderful he is. Imagine if you received a letter like this about a horse you'd sold, would you be more inclined to reply to someone full of enthusiasim (after all, they did something to make him as he is)
Hope you have an interesting response.:)

That is a really thoughtful letter, but have to agree with Clava - let them know how wonderful he is, how much you love him, they won`t think your daft. I email Harry`s old owners twice a year, they are so pleased that he is in a happy home til death us do part, don`t be shy, shout it from the rooftops, having read previous threads on here about him, it is soo obvious what you think of him, and i have never even met him, let alone owned him!:):)

Yes I mean keeping! Thanks! lol

Ok, so generally be more chatty about him and what hes up to now then?

Would it be worth asking if when they had him he was scared of drains or should I wait to see if they reply first? :confused:

I would put before pictures in but I don't want them to feel guilty as they sold him on and he ended up in that state with the people I ought him from.

I'll happily include pictures of him now but think I'll save the other pictures for if they reply, I just don't want to upset them with what he used to look like!

So, choosing pictures, what do you think, both of these photos?

picture.php

Can anyone with photoshop make his forelock look more normal in this photo please?^

picture.php

And PL52, the dock leaves is a recent thing! He never used to be scared of them! lol

Last edited:
Slightly O/T, but if you don`t mind letting me know what his racing name was, and who he was in training with? He looks very familiar(just looking at the second pic, which by the way is a cracker:)

Yes I mean keeping! Thanks! lol

Ok, so generally be more chatty about him and what hes up to now then?

Would it be worth asking if when they had him he was scared of drains or should I wait to see if they reply first? :confused:

Scared of drains - snap, Belle hates them...and ponds.:rolleyes:

Love the head snap of him, gorgeous.

Last edited:
I think a fear of drains may well be a thoroughbred thing, I have the same problem!

I would make sure they know your happy but make sure you don't seem to be "rubbing it in there face" and I think your right about just sending a recent picture. If they get back to you (which they hopefully will) I'm sure there will be plenty of time to talk about what he has been up to etc. so try not to overload it with too much information.

newrider.com