How extremely important it is to check your Horses !!! A very NEAR MISS

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
Saw Bert and Sioned quite early this morning and all was well.

Went up Yard again at 4 ish and Neighbour came running over to say had I got her message..........looking at my phone there was an unread message but I hadn't realised as phone was in the bottom of my bag !!

It would seem that 'somehow' Bert had got tangled up in the Electric Fencing, not only was he tangled, it was wrapped round his BODY, one of the plastic spikes was dangling on his side, he was apparently in a right panic and getting more and more tangled and it was round his legs and TIGHT around his NECK !!!!!!!!!!!.

Thankfully Liz, the Neighbour spotted him, she is not really horsey at all but does take her two girls over every day to see them. She went in the Field with her Mum, Bert attempted to run, but she said she remembered that I am always saying 'Steady and Stand' so thats what she did, she then got him in a headlock and attempted to untangle him, but could only get so far.....Her Mum RAN and got Martin, another Neighbour and he came in and CUT the electric Fencing from Bert. It must have been bad because some was STILL tangled in his Mane and it took me quite a while to untie all the knots and get the piece of tape out !!!!!!!!!!!! I left his mane once that was done as was worried if he had been pulling it may be a bit sore.

Liz said Sioned was a pain in the Butt and was trying to keep them away from Bert but she felt once she had said 'steady and stand' to Bert he understood she was trying to help him. I don't know how this happened, can only think they managed to dislodge the fencing 'gates/handles' and therefore the fencing was loose, or maybe something panicked him and he ran into it.........I really don't know but Liz said the fencing wasn't attached at one end !

I cannot begin to express how grateful I am...........and tbh how BRAVE she was to go tackle a panicking Pony when she isn't, as I said, Horsey.

She also said that she had the distinct feeling I worried about them with
'strangers' unnecessarily as she had the distinct feeling Sioned wasn't at all impressed with having these 'unknowns' on her land:biggrin:

Big bunch of flowers and bottle of Wine for Liz tomorrow me thinks, can't bear to think he may have been there until I returned and 'maybe' what the consequences of that could have been !!

Cookster said she saw them lunch time and all was OK so it had only happened after that.

How can people not check their Horses at least daily, I know somebody who goes several days !!!! MADNESS ...........

Last edited:
Oh my, thank god he is ok. What a wonderful neighbour. Im sure she will appreciate your kind gestures. Its so nice to know that others keep an eye on the horses. :smile:

Oh my, thank god he is ok, he must have been so frightened:(. What a wonderful neighbour. Im sure she will appreciate your kind gestures. Its so nice to know that others keep an eye on the horses. :smile:

Glad he was okay, how frightening. Some people just don't deserve horses with their shoddy methods of care. We are the same as you and go over at least twice a day.

Yes very pleased to hear he's ok and thank goodness for your neighbour.
Im like you and do the twice a day every day check, some I know only check once a day in summer and I also know one lady who only sees her horse once every 3 or 4 days! Scary.... each to their own I suppose but I couldn't sleep if I hadn't checked all was well.

Poory bert :( hope he didn't give himself to much of a fright. I go atleast once a day through the week, 3/4 times on a weekend but you have to pass jazz and Junes field on the way into the yard! Before when they were right in the back field I used to constanty worry if I couldn't get up more than once!

I suppose the main difference is whether your on a livery yard or not? As you are on your own in the field then checking more frequently is pos more important than on a yard?

I always go once a day but as I am on a pretty busy livery yard then if something is wrong they would contact me or help the horse.

However that being said, in winter I go twice a day anyway. And this week I have been checking before work too to make sure major is still in my paddock as he has been trashing the fencing overnight (battery was dead!) but as he is now staying in I am just driving past to make sure they r where they r meant to b!

Very very lucky your neighbour saw!! That is very very worrying!! Poor bert!

Oh how lovely - poor little Mr Macmuffin!!!!!! I really hope he's ok now, sounds like Sioned was quite stressed by the whole thing too

Glad the outcome was OK.

I check mine everyday without fail.

Last weekend I left mine at 8am to go out for the day. My mum came over lunchtime to let the dog out and give the horses some hay. Between 8am and 1pm Victory had managed to rip a chunk out of his lower eyelid and it looked nasty. Extremely red, swollen and the lid was drooping down quite a way from his eye.

Although not life threatening and he didn't seem too bothered by it it needed stitching and if I hadn't seen it the same day it would have been too late to stitch up and he would be left maimed for life.

Last edited:
Oh i`m so glad he was ok, and yes what a very very brave person to help, she is certainly deserving of a huuuuge bunch of flowers. Are you ok too ? It must have shaken you up *hug*

I check mine at least once a day, but i`m usually up there 2 or 3 times a day, easy to do though when he`s only 2 minutes away. Can`t understand those who just leave them for days on end. Horses can do them selves a mischief anywhere.

Have to say he was fine last night and didn't seem too upset about the whole thing........still at the tack room door looking for 'BIS 'QUITS'' :bounce:

I must say I am beginning to question whether I SHUT the fencing on my way out yesterday.........can't really understand how it came undone as is
tensioned ??
Anyway thankfully he is OK, was spotted before any real damage was done
and YES..........HUGE bunch of Flowers PLUS Wine on its way to Liz shortly !

Daisy, I was fine...........had I actually seen it I may well have dealt with it, sat down and BAWLED !!

Glad Bert is ok, how nice to have such great neighbours. :biggrin:

I got up the field this morning to find my daughters pony trapped between the tape and the hedge, god knows how he got in there.
Admit it is only a single strand and is not on as it is just to stop him rubbing himself on the Blackthorn, but he is 13'2 and whole line was still up.

Poor Bert - that was lovely of your neighbour to untangle him though, esp as she not a "horse person"

I'm always checking mine, so much so that my mother questions when I will be moving in the field with them:giggle:

Well I went and got Liz a huge bunch of flowers and bottle of wine, her Mum some flowers as she helped and Martin a bottle of wine...........I just cannot thank them enough really ESPECIALLY as none of them are Horsey People and tbh that took some real 'courage' for them all to go in and do that:wink:

How Lucky were we that we have such good Neighbours that are 'always' looking out for my Horses and the fact they obviously DO take an interest:happy:

Oh! poor Bert so glad he is ok.

What lovely people! even as a horsey person I'd be nervous dealing with a panicking pony I didn't know :unsure:

Oooh heck that sounds awful! Your neighbour is a real angel, isn't she? :angel:

Just goes to show us all that those accidents that you think could never happen can actually happen!

Hope you are all feeling a bit less shoogled up now *big hugs*

newrider.com