how far do you travel to your horse?

dreamsprite

Jan 19, 2010
cloud cuckoo land
hi, going to look at new yard tomorrow but it is quite a lot further away than where I am now! I am totally spoilt at the moment i know as am only 4 mins drive from my house!!! the new yard is about 15 mins drive away:rolleyes:
how far do you tarvel to `do` the horses???? xx

At the moment my yard is about 10 minutes away from my house.

Will hopefully soon be moving to a friends if she gets planning permission to build 3 stables (Very exciting! Fingers crossed! :D) and then will be even closer!

I'm really lucky, mine are about 30 steps away from my front door :D
There does have to be an upside to getting covered in cow s%^t almost daily.

I travel about 15 minutes; can be a lot more in rush hour. I've had yards that were 5 mins and 25 mins away and I found that travel time isn't important as long as you're both happy. I love my new yard and I'd travel a lot further for it if I had to. Its also much cheaper than the others so good deal all round. TBH I would just love to have a little farm where Comet could live in the paddock on site. Its something I dream of..... :)

2 minutes in the car, 20 minutes to walk.

I moved her to this yard in September to be closer to home. The livery is twice what I was paying at the old yard, but the petrol costs have more than halved so it was worth it. I have also gained and extra hour a day that I used to spend travelling - much better spent doing things with my horse instead!

How far/long everyone else travels is really not a good guide as to what's right for you.

I travel 13 miles to my yard but then my life makes this possible as I do it out of rush hour (takes 25mins or so as opposed to upto 1.5 hours unless I take the motorbike!) and the fact that I live in a built up area but want them to be out 24/7 in good sized paddocks that I control and with the very best hacking within my limits means that I need to travel this much.

If my lifestyle changed or the horses had to come in and be visited twice a day then I'd either have to look at them moving closer to me at the expense of the amount of land and turnout I have and the hacking, they go on part livery at great expense or we move closer to them at greater expense!

Be realistic about what time and money you have available to you (petrol isn't cheap) and what you need from a yard. Nobody wants to spend what precious spare time they have sat in a car rather than being with the horses. However, nobody would be happy longer term with compromising too much on facilities, horse management etc just to reduce their travelling.

So what can you spare and what's more important to you? ;)

When i had my first baby I had to give up my loan horse because the yard was a good 35-40 minutes drive away and I just couldn't fit this into my life. It took me 2 hours to just give her a quick groom! If she had been in my village I think that I would have kept her (her owner wouldn't let me move her). It all depends on what is important to you. When I finally get my own horse, the horse will have to fit in around my family and ideally I will be able to utilise one of the village livery yards.

Frayne is currently 15 miles away, about 30 minute drive (I have to go through our main county town).

I actually save on driving time and mileage, as I only go up once per day (YO brings her in for me at night). Also we have far better facilities (it is wonderful having access to a good school) and year-round turnout.

Planning to bring her back to the farm in the next few months, so will then be outside the house!

Ali xx

I think I'm fairly lucky - its 1.8 miles from home, takes about 3-4 minutes driving, and its all country lanes so the only traffic I regularly encounter is a loose sheep or a tractor!:D

newrider.com