How important is grass?

vels mum

Jul 1, 2008
Shetland
Turk isa 16h ID|X 26yr old, Vel is a 16h Friesian 2yr old and Dollie is a 12.2h Welsh B 3yr old.

They are all in a pretty bare park as my usual part has been weed sprayed and fertislised (animals off it for a week) they are all a teeny bit on the podgy side, not overly big but wouldnt need much more condition on what they already have.
Now there aint a lot of grass for them to eat, should I have them on more lush grass? It just doesnt seem right them not having much to eat.
They all get fed once a day which they wolf down. Vel and Dollie are on suregrow and turk on ponynuts with a suppliment for joints.

Is a fair amount of summer grass essential for youngsters development and oldies condition?

Its like my horses live off fresh air in summer and do nothing but eat through winter to keep condition on, how and why???? :confused:

My horses did much better on a large area of stubbly grass with a bit of hay then they are now on a big green (not really lush) field :rolleyes: They was better weights, had better feet and 'normal' droppings as well as being much fitter from walking about to find the good grass.

Non of them was supplemented, even the mare and foal I had did very well and even though I provided plenty of hay, it was often the stubbly grass that was favoured.

If they are already a bit on the podgy side then this is fine :) You could toss them a secton of hay each a day or let them in to more luch grazzing for a few hours a day if you are really worried though.

newrider.com