how long does full clip take you? and clippers getting hot? Wolseley Swifts?

BlueWicked

fluff-free
Jan 13, 2008
in the real world...
hey guys:) i was asking in my other thread about this but thought id best start a new one.

I am wondering how long on average it takes you to do a complete, full clip?

My horse is 15hh and gets a fluffy coat - i did my first full clip last night and it took about 1 1/2 hours. Now thats an improvement on last year when i was struggling using liveryman harmonies, but i have just bough a set of Wolseley Swifts:)

I was delighted with how they performed - zipped though his already quite thick coat and a lovely smooth finish. However, they heated up quite quickly and i kept having to stop for them to cool down ? Just wondering, is this just normal?

and i got v confused in how to tension correctly... i was worried about over tightening them, but at first found his coat was just sticking instead of cutting and accroding to the leaflet , that indicates they are not done up tight enough. I did tightne them a bit more after that and it didnt happen again but how to you guage it?

many thanks in advance:)

Last edited:
It takes me about an hour to do a full clip but I get a lot of practice.

You will get used to how to tension your blades, the recommendations are just a starting point.

Most clippers, other than the really heavy duty ones will heat up if cutting thick or tough hair. I find the quickest way to deal with it is to swap the blades. I have about six sets of blades anyway so I will just change them when the start to get hot.

i'm afraid it's a bit trial and error - my wolsley clippers have a v fine line between heating up and clipping well - about 1/4 of a turn!

but oiling every 10/15mins does make a big difference - into the top hole (if they are same as mine ;)) and along between the blades too (then obv wipe blades ;))

as for time - it took me about 45mins with two breaks to do a blanket clip a month back on a 14hh pony.... (cushings case if you're wondering why i was clipping mid summer ;))

It takes me forever and a day to clip - I should hold a record for being so slow :eek:

With regards the tension, I think you're meant to tighten as much as you can and then loosen by 1 and a half turns.

I agree that it's best to have a spare set of blades (or ideally another set of clippers) for when they get hot - I find even with lots of oiling they get to a point where they get hot really easily.

our blades dont get hot and we do a couple of full clips in a row...

tension is just how mum passes them to me once shes got them plugged in a ready, but i think its tight, then undo a turn and a bit...
then after about 3 long strokes i wash the blades (still running) in turps/white spirit, which cools them down and gets all the crap out then oil them (blades and the hole in the top).

spare (sharp!) blades cos when they are blunt they get hot. start with sharp blades aswell ;)

newrider.com