How long does it take for feathers to grow back ?

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
I'm considering clipping my boys feathers off and giving him a real good tidy up, but dont know if it's to late in the year to do it as he will be living out this winter with no rug (well that's the plan - but I can easily rug him if I have to)

All I want to do is give him a tidy up, I think I'm going to go the half way and shorten his mane to the 'normal' length and tidy his tail up, his mane is long though but keeps getting tangled up, he does have a very thick tail though so I'm not sure how that would work. Just scissors to trim the top part and tidy it ?

If I were to do this though, how long would it take for his feathers to grow back if I decided I didnt like the clipped out look on him ? Piccie of the bog monster so you can see what I mean about his feathers, they arent especially thick though. My thoughts on it are, well if I dont like it, it'll grow out.
Photo006.jpg

Tesss feathers are much thicker but I would say it to 18 months to go from all clipped off back to full length and thickness.

People told me they would grow back really coarse but they where just the same as they where before.

Alexa

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!

Don't do this to me Ruskii, it was bad enough when cinammontoast lopped off her boys feathers! I can't handle it!

Not his lovely feathers :eek: No, tis too cruel!

Love the hairiness, one of his best features :p

I will come and wash the feathers for you and he can borrow my Burts Bees Super Lusterous grapefruit conditioner for his tangly mane and then he can stay nice and hairy as nature intended :cool:

P.S. If you stick with this evil deplilatory plan PL52 and I will be forced to get up a petition :mad::D

Petition flumpy?! Come off it, I'm thinking pitchforks and sparklers! (I always thought sparklers look most angry)

I woullldddd, give him a nice bath to spruce him up a bit, rub some cornucresine (or however it's spelt!) into his feathers, trim his mane and neaten it up a bit and cut his tail into a conical shape. But KEEP THE FEATHERS! :D

oo no way could I face the wrath of flumpy and pl52 then :p The feathers stay ... for the moment. ;)

His mane is definately getting the chop though as I was looking at him tonight and realised just how low it was and yup it's going. Well being shortened anyway, his mane does grow quickly anyway.

Dumb question though - how would you go about getting the conical shape for the tail ? :eek:

That's an easy one.

I dampen Joys tail or do it just after she's had it washed. For the first time literally just take the end off as your practice run so you know what you are doing and then do it for real a couple of days later when you know what you're doing and how much more you want to take of.

I brush it all down straight making sure of no knots ( not easy with the likes of Levi and Joy!). Then I gather it all up into one hand and hold it out. I then use a very sharp pair of scissors and cut the end in a cone shape. Looks dramatic when you do it but dries natural :D

Volla, one nice tail ready for you to have a go at doing it to the length you want. Or one pants tail where there is no harm done as you have loads of length to play with! I've never had one go wrong yet though and I'm rubbish at stuff :)

Just to add, Levi's feather may well come up nice after a couple of shampoos but there is nothing wrong with a touch of tidying if you feel that way inclined. Taking nasty ends off if needed will improve things if you want to and probably make him look even more lush :D

No need to go the whole hog. Then once you've got the hang of it you can come and do Joy! One of my first jobs in September once Esme is back at school. She looks a right old mess at the mo :p

I have taken my mares feathers off yesterday.She really was a hairy girl.I was dreading them coming off but ! I am so glad i have done it to see what she looks like with out.
I have to say I like it.She looks so long in the leg now I am growing them back now just had to see for myself as only owned her since March.

newrider.com