How long does it take horse to dry after a bath?

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
Giving Cyrus a bath tomorrow morning, weather has been mild today and same forecast tomorrow.

So after bath and using sweat scraper and squeezing water from legs etc. how long approx does it take a horse to dry off completely.

I have cooler so can put that on if needed, should I wait til he is a bit dry or put on straight after?

Do you usually walk your horse around for a bit to help him dry off?

Riding at 1 so trying to figure out what is latest can bath him at :giggle:

Lol how long is a piece of string, depends on the temperature and whether he's indoors or outdoors and how thick his coat is and lots of other stuff! Here atm ours are taking 20mins to dry in a stable or 5mins on the lunge in walk in the sunshine. If it's warm enough to leave him without a cooler or fleece then I wouldn't put one on, I only do that if it's a bit too cool or if they're in a draft. If you can take him out and graze in-hand for 10-15mins you'll probably have him dry.

Thanks, it is mild enough for him not to need a cooler normally still and he is stabled (does get daily turn out will put him in stable after bath).

He is getting his winter coat but not too thick yet (getting there though :giggle:)

I'll give him bath and take him for walk in hand for about 10mins and see how he is after that. His stable is warm enough so he should be cosy enough I hope.

I will take a pic to prove he can be sparkly clean :giggle:

If warm or sunny then walking him will have him dry in no time :wink:

If not then I would sweat scrape him then walk him and put on cooler that wicks moisture away from the skin :smile:

You will just have to play it by ear according to the weather etc :smile:

newrider.com