How long does it take you to get ready to ride?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I have noticed it is taking me 20 minutes to get ready to ride, which seems totally pointless on the days I'm only riding for 20 minutes :rolleyes:

That includes a quick groom, saddle up, bridle on, do feet and put her renegades on and getting me hi viz'd and hat on. I am sure it never used to take that long :rolleyes:

Reactions: Trewsers
When I'm working 5-10 mins including grooming is my usual. 15 max if they're a bit dirtier. I used to take longer with Mouse because you need to dedicate time for cuddles. Not Annie though, she's not a fan of standing around!

Reactions: Jessey
Same as Joosie for work, anytime im doing anything with mine and its not riding but any "work" i spend at least half an hour faffing with them 1st but i am always more relaxed with mine time wise than when im at work :)

Takes me about twenty mins. I have to bring his nibs in, groom him, pick feet, boot him up into his Mary Janes and then tack up. But I also have to fetch the girls in, otherwise they shout the odds whilst we ride around the fields. Or if we go pottering down our drive they shout, whereas if they come into their byre they are happy to stand with heads over the doors watching us (I think they are sniggering at him lol:p)

Think it does seem to take longer as you get older, I put it down to the fact that when your a teen you really do have all the time in the world to waste, but when your a adult you have responsibilities, work, etc to juggle and your time becomes more precious somehow. x

Reactions: Cortrasna
I allow 45 minutes!!:oops: In my defence though I never know how far in the field she could be, if she's right on the other side it could take me 15 mins + just to get her in

Reactions: Trewsers
It probably takes me about 20 minutes if left to my own devices - more if Raf is blathered. It does take me a bit extra time to girth him up because I do it in stages.

The trouble with being on a friendly livery yard is that when there are other people about it can take hours to get ready, including catching up, having a coffee, being about to start getting ready then someone else turns up so you put the kettle on again etc etc ... It's lovely but it does take up a lot of time that I really should be spending with OH or doing something productive around the house/garden.

Reactions: orbvalley
Depends how much time I've got. Today I arrived at the yard at 6.40am got Lottie in and horse in the field behind which takes about 10 mins. Was on board and off at 7.05am, I was rushing though and brushed off the worst bits and picked feet out. Usually takes me about 10-15 mins if she's in depending how dirty she is.

In winter I don’t groom on riding days other than taking the mud off his head and girth areas. Joys of a clipped out rugged horse ;)

On non riding days I groom and faff as I’m using the riding time doing other things :)

Door to door? Ten minutes walk to bus stop; 25 minutes or half an hour on the bus; ten minutes to walk up the lane to my RS. Then it depends: If JB is in another lesson, it's just 2 minutes to put on my hat and half chaps and pop the stirrups down a few holes (I'm usually the tallest one who rides him). If not, I might groom him for about 5 minutes, then I've got tacking him up down to ten in the year-and-a-half I've been riding him, including trying to find the right boots.

All of that is preceded by finishing work and getting home to hastily change into my riding gear, then getting out the door in time to get the bus.

Coming back is fortunately quicker, as I get a lift most of the way!

About 20 mins from when I've got her in. Depending on how far up the field she is (long and thin!), that can add anything up to 15 mins of walking time on top of that.

Often I do it in 10 - very quick groom of saddle area, pick out feet, tack up and go. But if I'm at leisure it is much nicer to spend longer and actually get her a bit cleaner and give her some cuddles (which she doesn't enjoy but tolerates!)

Reactions: orbvalley
I'm always slow at tacking up. One of the girls tacks up and is mounted, and waiting for me and I'm usually still faffing to put my hat and body protector on. I like to take my time, if I rush I usually forget to do something up or like last week had locked up and then realised I hadn't got my riding hat on.
That said I hate people that spend 30 minutes pampering the horse, getting every bit of mud off, then turn round and say do you mind if we just go down the road and back I've got to go pick the kids up. Arrgh. In the time they took grooming I could have hacked 2 miles. That's why I gave up going out with people. I'd rather work my horse than spend time grooming. I do understand that grooming does have a purpose of stimulating muscles. But whats the point if you then only ride for 10 minutes.

Have to think really. Quick flick with brush if needed, or quick glance looking for something to brush :D She is rarely dirty and I spend her day off grooming to remind her what a brush is/ quality time.
Probably 10-15 minutes as I need to change.

I haven't timed it and don't intend to - it will depress me I just know :( Too long is all I will admit too......used to do a quick swipe over with a dandy brush, tack on and off up the lane in less than 20 minutes back in the day. God know how long I faff about for these days - old age is a bitch ;)

Anything from 10 mins to 1 hour depending on how much time I have :D

This is me too. Usually I am over to the field, whistle, he comes, quick brush of the saddle area, pick out feet, tack on, hat on, off we go. Boots add another 5 minutes.

But if I have the luxury of time I'll groom him all over, brush his mane and tail, do a few stretches (both of us) and take ages!

I'm really slow. It takes me about 30 minutes from arriving to sitting on the the horse if he is in his stable + another 10 minutes if he is out. This includes fetching all he tack from the car, grooming and dressing both of us :)

This includes fetching all he tack from the car, grooming and dressing both of us :)
Don't you have a tack room or storage box outside the stable?
The fetching and carrying would encourage me to forget something.

newrider.com